Thread: Hi from newbie and question re Weston Cane Burnished leather

Default Hi from newbie and question re Weston Cane Burnished leather

I'd like to say hi to everyone here and also to thank Duane very much for allowing me to participate in the forum from afar.

My husband and I have only just started our journey to furnish our dream home and we're looking for good quality sofas for the great room. Looking at H&M online, I came across this forum and haven't looked back. I've read, printed off, read again, followed your projects and viewed so many pictures, and started all over again when I forgot what I viewed first! I'm not sure if it's made the choice any easier though, there are so many beautiful examples here that we keep flip flopping from one style to another. I'm so grateful that we can view photos, since we're overseas and can't walk into a store and view samples, so I am grateful to you all for uploading pics.

We're going to need two sofas, two armchairs and two ottomans. We started off with the September range in mind, but now we've changed our minds and we're looking at a few possibilities to include:

- Seldon sofa and some sort of chair (to be decided)
    - Teton sofa and Round Moore chair (this option may be discounted due to lack of comfort from Teton sofa)
    - Rugby sofa and armchair (if this choice is made it probably would end up in our daylight basement in years to come)
    - Sundance sofa and armchair (I love the sectional but our great room is a formal area rather than lounging area)

Tomorrow our choices may be different.

I'd like to apologise to Duane in advance, because if anyone is going to be the most challenging and send him round the bend, it's likely to be me. He'll never get to enjoy an Aston Martin, which by the way, I used to live near their premises in Newport Pagnell, UK many years ago, and it was like a tin rust bucket series of sheds, who would believe such beautiful cars could be produced from such humble beginnings. Anyway, back to the task in hand (although Aston Martin do good with leather too!).

I am totally and utterly confused. I have seen several photos of Weston Cane Burnished leather and it's so hard to decipher which photo depicts the color most accurately. I hope it's okay to attach other posters' pics here, if not, then let me know and consider my hand slapped and I won't do it again.

I'm not looking for a bright orange, I'm really looking for a deep, rich 'dirty' sort of color, well burnished, so the leather has depth and is not flat. I've no idea if Weston Cane Burnished is that, since the Utah sofa shown here is very orange, compared to the Author chair, which is more brown, and then there's the Rugby chair, which is a bit of both. How on earth do you choose a leather if the same color can look so different? This freaks me out a bit. Any words of wisdom? I'm wondering if a tiny sample is going to help at all or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ranchsooner-WestonCaneBurnished.jpg 
Views:	731 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	4158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Utah-WestonCaneBurnished.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	4159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rugby2.jpg 
Views:	760 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	4160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rugby1.jpg 
Views:	686 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	4161  
    Last edited by Mountainlion; 12-14-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to include Teton sofa option

hglaber Guest

Default Re: Hi from newbie and question re Weston Cane Burnished leather

In the pics you posted, the first two were taken inside, probably under artificial light which messes up all sorts of stuff color-wise that the naked eye would not perceive. Comparing the Rugby you posted to this chair, also in Weston Cane Burnished and also taken in sunlight, might give you a slightly better idea of what Weston Cane pieces might look like in person.

zheng Guest

I have an author chair as the first photo in weston cane burnished. but the leather of mine doesn't look like that one very much. the third and fourth photo are very close to what I have.

I guess since it's an aniline hide, the leather may vary from batch to batch. from what I have, I'd say I love this leather, it looks kind of stiff, but the touch is soft, almost silk like, and there's a lot of fun to look at the grains of the leather.

Thanks so much for your input, it really helps. We'll be asking for samples as soon as we've made a definite decision on style. We're so up in the air with it all, but know that H&M is the way to go, but that's about the only definite decision we've made. I think we might have eliminated the Teton sofa though, due to comfort level - we want our guests to stay a while! Might even add the September sofas to the equation again. So many photos to view on this forum and information to digest, it's wonderful.

[QUOTE=Mountainlion;16925]
    - Teton sofa and Round Moore chair (this option may be discounted due to lack of comfort from Teton sofa)

Actually I find the Teton to sit well, in fact VERY well if you 'snuggle' in either corner of it. It may not be the best 'lay down' sofa in the line, but for sitting and semi-reclining, its tops.

I'd like to apologise to Duane in advance, because if anyone is going to be the most challenging and send him round the bend, it's likely to be me.

Not to worry....you keep posting, we all will keep answering!

He'll never get to enjoy an Aston Martin.

Actually, I will! Drove mine to work today....

I am totally and utterly confused. I have seen several photos of Weston Cane Burnished leather and it's so hard to decipher which photo depicts the color most accurately.

Well, you know these are hand-finished leathers, that are done AFTER the piece is built. So you are going to see a variance of tone on them and no burnished leather is suitable for those that desire exact colors. Burnished leathers are for those that prefer a painted portait to a photographed one. Willing to take the artist's interpretation and a chance on it because of its uniqueness. Only a CFA (Cutting For Appoval) will get you in the ballpark, and even that doesn't reflect the overall nature of the finished piece.
    Last edited by aaron; 12-15-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

The Teton is still one I really do like, it's a lovely statement piece, but my concern is how comfortable it would be for friends visiting, since I wouldn't expect them to be snuggling in the corners, more like sitting upright, unless they'd had a few.

Haaa Duane.... I read the thread where you'd driven an Aston Martin, didn't realize you'd actually got one. You obviously have a very understanding wife!!! My husband wants an Audi R8 - no way!

Burnished leather is beautiful and looks to have so much depth and interest, that's why it appeals to us most. We're still struggling with choosing a style, so will keep looking through the forum and H&M's website.

Teton is a three-seater, so the two end positions are excellent, and the center spot is like all sofa center spots....no one wants to sit in the middle!

Tell your hubby the local AM dealer has an R8 they are dying to sell, its been on the lot there for a year and they can't move it, and are totally perplexed why, because its a nearly new car with no stories and in great shape. I know they wold deal HUGELY on it. (click on 'pre-owned');

http://astonmartinwashingtondc.com/browse-inventory/
    Duane Collie

Mr Collie, please! He does not need any encouragement. Whilst we need furniture he can stick with his Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. Honestly, men and their boys toys!

The Teton looks great but I worry that it would be like sitting in a waiting room and not feeling comfortable to sit back (is it high enough?). We have lovely neighbors and would like to encourage them to stay, which means comfortable sofas. We'll wait and see if H&M come through with the Seldon photos in January that you mentioned since that's my husband's current fave. I love the Rugby range, but worry that it may be a tad small for a 6'2" husband. I need to check the sizes of the West End range, since they are also nice looking. So many wonderful choices, it makes it difficult to choose.

I like the Teton, I'd not hesitate to put one in my Great Room at all. Its a good sitter and handsome, and the back is tall enough. Its just not the best lay-on-the-sofa piece is all.

Did you even show your husband the R8 ad? No...you didn't.... lol
    Duane Collie