Thread: Dilemma: still debating fabric vs. leather

heather717 Guest

Default Dilemma: still debating fabric vs. leather

Thanks for your help on my previous fabric question. Problem: I've seen enough decorating photos to know the designers would say to let the brown leather sofa be the only leather piece in family room. However... just how bad would it look to put two leather chairs ( same leather, but smaller footprint and two inches shorter) at a 90 degree angle to sofa and a fabric chair across from those? The leather chairs would be floating. (Appropriate tables & lamps will be added.). I know it's too much leather, but would appreciate any and all input. Thanks for being brutally honest.

Default Re: Dilemma: still debating fabric vs. leather

I don't think its too much leather at all - in fact my family room at my house is all leather, as is my library. If the sofa is going to be a different style from the chairs, change the leathers up.... its more interesting that way.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

heather717 Guest

Hmmm. I'll give that some thought, but mixing leathers scares me a little! (Actually, it scares me a lot.) I didn't think twice about mixing painted pieces with stained cabinets in my kitchen, but the leather combo gives me the jitters. Is there a neutral looking leather you would put with Equestrian Toffee?? Your advice is over the top, dead on, fantastic. Thanks again.

Well, you have to 'think outside the box' a little bit and let your mind wander to other considerations on color and decor. Furniture is fashion as much as function and if you reach out a little bit, its AMAZING what you can come up with. I have no formal training in decor but have had the benefit of going inside many hundreds of customers homes over the years and I get a pretty good sense of boring vs fantastic, faux paus' vs terrific. I try to convey that back as best as I can. Here's a couple of pieces we did for a customer that wanted to 'try' some color changes and after we delivered it she said it came out fantastic:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ond-and-Nugget

Judy - are you reading this? if so, can you point us to some of your photos of your lake house? Judy went bold and the effect in her home was stunning....and she took a leap of faith on it. Some of the pieces she got were far out and just so cool when they were done.
    Duane Collie

heather717 Guest

I'm going to give that some serious thought. That combo is gorgeous, and it may be the solution! Again, thanks a bunch and have a great Christmas.

I found a few links to Judy's home....here's one (you can see the darker leather sofa in front of the chairs):

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ghlight=weston

Barstools:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...=2637#post2637

Foyer Piece:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...=2636#post2636

Fun with Color!
    Duane Collie