Thread: Large Family Room Questions

Default Large Family Room Questions

Duane,

We have a large family room 22 wide by 26 long and are looking to purchase some new furniture. We like the Sundance and Journey sofas's and may consider a sectional but would like some input from you on what to put in the room from the sofa to chairs. I have attached a few pictures to give you an idea. I will PM you for pricing.

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpeg 
Views:	376 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	4192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpeg 
Views:	375 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	4193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpeg 
Views:	344 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	4194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpeg 
Views:	344 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	4195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpeg 
Views:	327 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	4196  

Default Re: Large Family Room Questions

Duane,

A few more comments to add to this post. I am a big guy 6'-4" and my wife is small 5'-4". We obviously have different likes with the size differences so this plays into the couch selection. One of the reasons I like the Sundance is that it is a "long" couch in that it is 95" inside so I can lay down comfortably and still have some room for my wife or the kids to sit. This is one of the few couches this long. The Journey is quite a bit shorter so can this be "extended" or would it be best to get a sectional if we go with this style? Also, what type of ottoman would you suggest? I have read in other posts where you like a 48" ottomon for this style of couch. We are thinking that a dark brown couch would look best for the room with the blue walls. I would like to purchase some other leather chairs as well but my wife is concerned that this would be too much leather. I have seen pictures where you have mixed the leather colors between the couches and chairs. Thoughts on this for our room? Thanks again for the help.

Batter up! Ready for a curve ball? We're going to do some outside of the box ideas....based on the photos. If I had that room layout, I would do one of three concepts since its focused around the TV set (which I would go to a 60" or better flat panel and mount on the wall).

1) I'd do this Taylor King piece as shown, expect repeat the chaise on the left side and add one more seat in the center, then position it centered on the TV. This, with an square cocktail ottoman, is all you need in the room. Long enough to allow you to stretch out and yet your wife would find if very comfy as well, this would be a very cozy option. This would be my first choice.

http://www.taylorking.com/details.ph...uctid=50665424

2) Go Theater Seating and then possible use a pair of swivel chairs opposite one another at the carpet edge about halfway to the TV:

http://www.taylorking.com/details.ph...uctid=50665439

3) A pair of matching sofas opposing one another 90 degrees to the TV (this would mean you would stretch out and lay down on them to watch TV) anchored at the far end with a chair and a half and ottoman.

Colors: No blue, no tans/browns. You need some red in there!

After you recover from those ideas, let me know which one appeals (if any) and we can narrow it down, some.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane,

Thanks for the reply. We are open to options 1 and 3.

Questions:

Scenario 1) It's 15 feet from the windows to the back of the small leather chairs (where there is an opening to the kitchen). The overall length of the Taylor King seems to be 15+ft. If the couch and ottoman are the only furniture needed, what do we do about lighting/lamp? I'm assuming there are no end tables. Also, just to clarify, that is a leather frame with fabric cushions? And, we would love your suggestion for an ottoman.

Scenario 3) What types of matching sofas & chair and a half would you recommend? Leather? Fabric? And while we are talking fabric, were you suggesting reds in the fabric pattern? Is having more than one ottoman an option?

What are the differences (warranty, workmanship, etc) between Taylor King and H & M?

Thanks again. Curveballs are fine.

Lamps always present a problem with a U-Shaped sectional as the only way to do it is to run a sofa table along the back and use tall lamps - and then there is the cord issue to deal with as well. I notice you have a fairly low ceiling and overhead lamps, so I'm wondering if you may be able to solve that issue with some selectively-posiitoned, track-style lighting overhead that would be on a remote controlled switch.Should be easy to install and wire into your existing overheads, and be more elegant than wires across the floor. Like this:

http://www.lotolighting.com/howitworks.htm

You can get that piece in all leather, all fabric or a combo - its all custom made. Taylor King is owned by the same gentlemen that own Hancock and Moore as well as Jessica Charles, and has the same quality and build standards.

For Option 3, perhaps a pair of the 4716 Sundance sofas in the Portfolio Claret and a single Sundance chair or Recliner at the end. That's an attractive leather and those are in the Town and Country program which will save you a couple of thousand dollars vs using the 4717 model.

Ottomans are many and varied, and can be explored once you lock down the basic configuration to be used. Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie

Okay I think we are leaning towards option 1 with the single Taylor King piece. Having never sat on a TK piece is this a lounge around comfortable piece or where does it rate in your opinion?? I know this may be subjective but just trying to get an idea since it would be the only piece of furniture in the room. In looking at the website there are several different cushion types and we wanted any suggestions on where to at least start or have 1 or 2 options to choose from versus several.

Can you give us what the OAL of the sectional will be as I am not sure based on your original suggestions with the extra pice in the center and chaises on both ends what this turns out to be. Can you PM me a price range for this arrangement? I know it will vary on final leather/fabric details but it will at least give us an idea. Can you also give us suggestions for types/colors for the leather frame and some fabric options as there are way too many to choose from and we do better with a narrower selection?

Any thoughts or links on the sofa table, not sure if you had something in mind from one of the manufacturers you rep?

What would the timeframe be to get a piece like this from the factory?

Thanks for the continued help.

Taylor King builds exceptional pieces and I find most sit very well with only a few exceptions. However, that is going to be a fairly costly piece so it would be prudent for you to at least see a Taylor King piece in person before you commit to a purchase on a large piece like that. I don't have pricing today as its Sunday (and I'm actually answering this from Fairfax Hospitals Emergency Waiting Room - elderly parents- ) but I can work something up next week. Probably $7k to $11k depending on cover for that size. Build time is about 7 weeks..if you are not in a huge hurry and have no TK dealer around to see the pieces, can you come to the April Market in High Point NC to their showroom? They will show 4 or 5 sectionals typically.

I'd have to give the sofa table some thought....depends on the final size of the sectional, it can't be too short and needs to span 70% of he back length or thereabouts.
    Duane Collie