Thread: How to spec a quality custom sofa

Default How to spec a quality custom sofa

I recently had a custom sofa made and this site was an invaluable source of information for me throughout the process. I would have preferred to buy from a known brand, but my narrow stairwell left me with little option—I needed to go the custom route. I'd like to develop a checklist that buyers can use to interview potential makers, and am hoping for your help!

I am guessing frame construction, suspension and cushion types are the main facets of a good sofa, but are there more aspects I'm missing? And am I listing the various attributes of each aspect thoroughly and in complete order? Please feel free to comment and I'll revise this post.

Frame Construction (from lowest to highest quality)
    • Softwood (pine)
    • Engineered hardwood and plywood
    • Engineered hardwood
    • Solid hardwood (maple), double-doweled, corner-blocked, screwed & glued

Suspension (from lowest to highest quality)
    • webbing
    • Pirelli webbing
    • no-sag springs (a.k.a. zig-zag)
    • drop-in coils suspension unit
    • 8-way hand-tied coil suspension (9 coils per seat)
    • 8-way hand-knotted coil suspension (12 coils per seat)

Foam (from lowest to highest quality)
    • low density (1.5 pounds per square inch or less)
    • high density (1.6 pounds per square inch or more)
    • high density in feather/down envelopes

Default Re: How to spec a quality custom sofa

You are trying to simplify a very complex subject.

There are dozens of different frame constructions and spring systems. Not all sofa styles are appropriate for 8 way hand-tied coils. Most modern styles, for example, have front rails that are too narrow or too low to fit an 8-way coil.

There are dozens of different types of foams and foam combinations that can be used in hundreds of different types of cushions. Individual comfort varies and the most comfortable type of cushion for one individual may not be the most comfortable for another.

Density is only one of several types of measurements for cushions. A 1.8 density foam cushion (the most common density in both cheap and expensive cushions) can feel completely different from other 1.8 density foam cushions depending on firmness (which is different than density), thickness of the cushion, total size of the cushion, the content and thickness of the cushion wrapping, whether the cushion is encased in a woven ticking, shape of the cushion, etc.. The brand of foam makes a difference -- and all that is before you get into foam combinations and other types of filling materials such as down.

The bottom line is that there are many excellent ways to make a sofa. H&M uses top of the line materials and construction techniques for the type of furniture they make. However, it is also possible to find a $10,000 modern sofa with a plywood frame and Pirelli Webbing construction.

Hi Jeff: I am definitely trying to simplify the process of speccing a sofa! I think it's far too compicated right now and most people are completely in the dark.

Are the no red herrings that indicate perhaps a sofa won't last beyond five years?

Also, I have seen many beautiful, comfortable italian sofas made from plywood (see attached). My guess is though that by the time these sofas will need reupholstery, they will be ready for the landfill.

What construction methods constitute a sofa that is likely to last 25 years?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IT-IMG_2564 copy.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	4212
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IT-IMG_2564 copy.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	4211  
    Last edited by Gabardine; 01-09-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Blased JPG EXIF rotation

I cannot stand JPG EXIF rotation problems. Drives me nuts!