Thread: Does Jonathan Louis make a quailty sofa?

scriss Guest

Default Does Jonathan Louis make a quailty sofa?

Hi! New here. I've found some great info on here, so thanks for that! I am shopping for a good quailty sectional at a reasonable price. I am wondering if anyone here has heard of or has experience with Jonathan Louis furniture. I found a sectional that I like in one of their lines. I am looking for something a little bigger than usual - I'm 6'4", so I like a deeper seat - ideally in the 120" x 140" range. JL has something that fits the bill. But I'm a newbie that can't discern whether their stuff is built to last. Here is what their website says about construction:

FRAME CONSTRUCTION:

Our furniture line is constructed of high quality, all solid hardwood frames made from a variety of wood species. To prevent the frame from warping, splitting or cracking over time, stress joints are reinforced with corner blocks, wood glue, and high-pressure stapling. Dacron polyester padding throughout prevents the upholstery fabric from coming into direct contact with the wooded frame.

SPRING CONSTRUCTION:

No-sag seat suspension features heavy gauge sinuous steel wire. Springs are evenly spaced 4" apart to provide added stability and uniform comfort. We offer a variety of seating alternatives, each designed to provide the perfect balance of comfort and look for a specific style. All of our cushions are made with High-Resiliency Foam and are completely reversible. Each is structured to compliment specific styles.

So, no 8 way hand tied. Is sinuous steel the next best thing? But what about the rest of the construction scheme? Good enough?

- Scott

Default Re: Does Jonathan Louis make a quailty sofa?

How about a link so I can take a look?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

scriss Guest

http://jonathanlouis.net

The construction/cushion info is under "resources"

- Scott

Wow. That's a pretty worthless website, there is no capability to zoom in on pieces. I really can't tell much, but they need a new copy editor:

"To prevent the frame from warping, splitting or cracking over time, stress joints are reinforced with corner blocks, wood glue, and high-pressure stapling"

Someone wrote this that doesn't know beans about wood. Because only proper kiln-drying prevents 'splitting and cracking' and 'warping' is only controlled with battens and the like (not that it matters much in upholstery). And of course you have to use wood glue (doh!) and I've never heard of a low pressure staple..lol. And that's not a plus, that's a negative. Staples are not considered better construction.

While there is nothing inherently wrong about sinuous springs, they are not as good (or as costly) as 8-ways.

I'll bet $ 100 that's a plywood frame product. Just because.

Now, I can't say its not good furniture - I really can't tell from that. But don't overpay. From what I can see I'd not want to spend more than $ 2K on a sofa with them.
    Duane Collie

scriss Guest

Thanks for taking the time to look it over. I agree: though the couch impressed me in person, the website and its sketchy description of their construction makes me very wary.

To give you an idea of the scale I am looking for, I really like this piece from Crate and Barrel: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/lounge...l-sofa/s189033. But I'd rather pay that kind of money for something that is higher quality, rather than paying for the C&B name on the tag.

Any suggestions?

Its really difficult to tell, it could be an OK piece, it could be a lousy one, too. Trust your eyes when you look at it. Tailoring should be crisp and tight. Push outwards on the arms - they should not move more than just a little bit. Pinch the arms and back of the piece? Do you feel the wood edge? On good, well-made pieces you will not. Do you hear any spring noise when you sit in it? It should be quiet. If you roll side to side and shift your weight, its is supportive or does it feel like its dipping?

A lot of this comes down to price paid as well. To do a Hancock and Moore like that Crate and Barrel piece is going to run $ 8K to $ 12K. To do a Bradington Young about 2/3's of that. If you're seeing a sectional that size for $ 4K then you KNOW its not well made, it just cannot be for the price charged.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie

scriss Guest

Thanks for the advice on how to take a sofa for a "test drive"! The search continues......