Thread: Hancock & Moore Bovey Apartment Sofa?

juraszek park Guest

Default Hancock & Moore Bovey Apartment Sofa?

Hello, first time poster. LOVE this site! Am currently in I.D. classes right now and love furniture. I search out and try to purchase American made products as I believe in their quality. Have a hard time finding comfortable furniture as I am on the slight side. Most are too hard for me to sit on for a long time. Had an Ethan Allen denim sofa for eight years that was custom made and wonderful, but after 9 years, we put it out to pasture. Unfortunately for me, we custom ordered a Peter Lorentz leather sofa that is SO uncomfortable. Now on to my REAL question. We have a 20 year old Hancock and Moore Fairfax sofa at work. I would steal it, but it's in a hunter green that is SO 90's! I love this sofa, have slept on it over the years and it is extremely comfortable. We have done nothing to this sofa at work, did not seal, did not clean. Nothing! And it is still perfect 20 years later. I love the sloped arms and the tufts seem to work better for bonier butts. Does the H&M Bovey sofa compare at all to the Fairfax? I find the Fairfax to be too low to the ground, but love the sloped arms. Also, H&M doesn't show the sides or back of the Bovey sofa. I am willing to custom order the Bovey, but no one around here has them to try out. We live within 45 minutes of Chicago. Need your help, please!! Any advice you can offer would be most appreciated. I want a sofa I can sleep / nap / watch TV "in" that will stand the test of time. Not crazy about the light gray they show, but wouldn't mind a darker gray leather. We prefer really bright pops of color and figure that would be the best way to blend, as I think black sofas look "too 80's" for us... and there is no way a "brown" sofa is coming any where near our house!

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Bovey Apartment Sofa?

The "Fairfax" sofa was before my time as a dealer, so I have no idea what it looks like or sits like. The Bovey is a sharp, decorative piece that sits very well in my opinion. One that I happen to like quite a bit. And it does look good in colors that pop. Watch out for dark gray colors though, they will REALLY limit your decorating schemes into cool colors like black, dark blues and reds. Not good if you want cozy earth tones.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

juraszek park Guest

Thanks for the tip on color. We have NO children in the house and tend toward "warmer" colors like red, fuchsia, purples, etc. Very artsy house... Anyway, I'm glad to hear a man's opinion on the Bovey. I want a sofa to sit "in" and not "on". Basically, I want a couch that hugs you when you sit in it. Do you think the Bovey does that? Also, is there any way you can share photos of the sides / back of the piece? Thanks so much for your opinion / insight!

juraszek park Guest

Hey Duane, sending you a request for swatches in the next day or two via PM. Can't wait to get them and start to work on placing my order for a Bovey with you!