Thread: Does this sofa look like a keeper?

kootenaigirl Guest

Default Does this sofa look like a keeper?

Hi, saw this and it is about a 5 hour drive. Looking for a good quality long lasting leather sofa and wondered if this might fit the bill? I am a newbie though reading this site like crazy! Thanks so much.
    They are asking $1600 and say it states made in Italy on it, no other info.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa 2.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	4230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa 1.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	4231

hglaber Guest

Default Re: Does this sofa look like a keeper?

I'm no expert, but for me "made in Italy" carries about as much weight as "Amish-made" does. Could be good, could be bad, just like any other place or maker. In other words, that fact alone carries no weight at all. If you take that away, what you have are two pictures from four feet away, and... nothing else. Not much to go on for a five hour drive (I assume/hope that's round trip). That's $50 bucks in gas just to look at a pig in a poke. More, if you take a vehicle big enough to transport all three home safely.

Up to you, but if it were me I'd only look if they were local. At least get a lot more pics, age, pet situation, and perhaps where they bought it before you hit the road. If it's a store that puts out fliers splattered with exclamation points and the words "XX-Piece Complete [room] Set for only..." or one where you can also buy a ten pound bag of Cheetos and a set of tires, then pass.

That set is well-used. I'd want to know maker and age before I'd invest a day in the truck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

kootenaigirl Guest

Thanks so much, based on your replies i think I'll pass as they were very sparse on info when i called them and it is 5 hours one way! I live in the boonies.