Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layout and Sofa selection

Scuba Guest

Default Layout and Sofa selection

I've been on this forum for a week learning alot about leather and furniture. My wife's ready to kill me, but she knows I'm anal-ytical whenever we do a major purchase. So this site was a godsend (thanks Duane!)

Here's the room layout, hopefully attached correctly. Room size is ~20x15 opens to the kitchen area. I'm not crazy about the sofa back to the window but I think its better than on the long wall. I'll probably move the two curios aside the fireplace to the opposite corners and thinking about two windows on each side of the fireplace to offset the"loss" of the window due to the sofa placement. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scuba layout.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	4300

We are replacing the fabric sofa and chairs. Leaning towards either the Austin High Back or possibly Kodiak. Thoughts? Sat in the Austin and we love it but haven't seen the Kodiak at the H&M dealer. Wondering whether they may be took big near the window. The Austin is 6" deeper then current sofa.

For chairs, we are thinking the Austin regular near the sofa and a recliner in the corner. Swivel option seems to be appealing but not crazy about the looks of the Austin wall hugger. Any ideas?

For leathers, I think Duane is going to make it possble to go to GR2 Atticus or Kipling (basically same price as Document and Cavalier at local dealer) and maybe GR3, is Garfield that much difference in quality? Would like to do a chestnut in the sofa and lighter color in recliner. We have light oak floors and light browns in the room. Area rug is black background with lotus flowers in shades of brown. I think the chestnut/saddle should offer enough contrast and jump out a little.

I know there's a lot here but any help and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Layout and Sofa selection

Layout is good, I would suggest that the chair to the left of the sofa be a swivel chair, so it can pivot to the TV. The chair by the fireplace is find being stationary or a recliner (will you really use a recliner in that position? Most don't).

Austin High Back and Kodiak have about the same footprint and will sit very similar. The Austin is better for sitting upright, the Kodiak better for stretching out taking a nap.

This swivel chair could work....

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2194

or this one if you have the room - its fairly wide but comfy:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1878

Garfield is a gorgeous leather that if very 'deep-looking' and rich in appearance. It can vary from hide to hide (it's Italian, and that explains why), and can have a slicker topcoat than some. Not objectionable, but it is usually more than Kipling or Atticus.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Scuba Guest

Thanks Duane.

I really like the Aurthor Chair. I was wondering whether it also comes in a swivel-recliner...I did not see this option in the H&M catalog. If not, do you have any recommendations for a swivel recliner from H&M or BY?

Also, what do you think about replacing the coffee table with a tufted Robinson cocktail otttoman? I've seen some other posts and pictures that really catch my eye but it may be fairly pricey.

Thanks again,
    Scott

Scuba Guest

As a follow-up to above, have you seen BY 7719-SG Paeso? Is this chair comfortable and would you recommend it?

Hi Scott,

Author comes in a swivel, but not recliner model. There are only a few choices in H&M like the Austin and Barton, etc. and most are not very stylish. B-Y is hardly better but any on this page with SG on the end will meet that criteria ad the 7719 is on there as well, but I can't remember how it sat when I tried it out at Market in October - sorry!

http://www.bradingtonyoung.com/leath...ner-chairs.asp
    Duane Collie

Scuba Guest

What do you think about the 7118-S Oscar lounger. More of a contemporary look. Would it look out of place next to an Austin HB sofa?

I don't think those two play well together style-wise.
    Duane Collie

Scuba Guest

Ok Duane, I'm changing gears. We defintely are leaning towards the 8138 Austin HB sofa and 8136NB HB chair in Kipling Java. Chair opposite the sofa in the layout. Aside the sofa, what do you think about a lounger:

7082 Saunders
    7112 Cross Moore
    7016 Miller Tufted

comfort and style of each?

and as a contrast to the Kipling Java, on the lounger next to the sofa, Equestrian Desert, Steeplechase Tan or Steeplechase Bone?

Thanks,
    Scott

Scuba Guest

Hi Duane,

It seems crunchysue has answered my questions about the lounger. Miller tufted looks like a good fit with the Austin HB sofa. Could you tell me more about the Steeplechase leather. Is it chinese? south american? In your opinion would the Miller tufted lounger in Steeplechase Tan polish be a good contrast with the Kipling Java?

Thanks much,
    Scott

Scuba Guest

I have spent what seems like everyday and night on this forum getting information, reading posts, looking at pictures, etc., for the perfect combination of style and color to match my lifestyle and home. I realize I'm a perfectionist which is not necessarily a good thing! The local H&M dealer is too pricey but my wife and I have been in a few times to look at their few styles and thumb through their leather samples.

We like the Austin HB sofa and chair and will compliment it with the Miller Tufted lounger in a different contrasting leather.

For the Austin we like the Kipling Java GR2, Weston Mocha GR3, and possibly the Imperial Whiskey Burnished. Reading through all the posts, the Kipling Java and Weston were both originally GR2, but the Weston out of Germany became a little pricier probably with the soft dollar and higher labor costs in Germany compared to China. Although I guess the Kipling is occasionally made in Italy. High reviews were given to the Kipling even over the Weston. I understand the Kipling is color consistent, not a lot of variation.
    Is the Weston Mocha also uniform or is there some variation? Which leather has the better hand to it?
    It’s not easy on a small swatch to judge these so I rely on the opinions in this forum. We do like some variation (doesn’t need to be dramatic) especially on such a large piece like the Austin HB sofa. That's why we are considering the Imperial Whiskey Burnished, but maybe that would be too much variation and really not fit the style of the Austin Would it be better to do a lighter burnished leather on the Miller tufted lounger? We liked the Steeplechase Tan Polished sample we saw and it looked like it had some variation in it, or possibly the Cameo Tan Burnished. Would these leathers work on the Miller?
    Thanks for your advice and help!