Thread: H & M sofa's actual hyde very different from leather swatch

TexasMom Guest

Default H & M sofa's actual hyde very different from leather swatch

I picked my furniture company based on the exact leather (plus quality). I knew it would vary some from swatch, but did not expect this much difference.

I choose H & M's Piazza Camel leather for a light to meduim milk chocolate color with lots of markings & variation within the swatch. It did not have that vinyl look where it's all consistently tanned the same color.

I asked for an exact swatch when I placed the order, 3 months ago, but just now got it when the sofa is about done. The swatch I just received of the exact hide has absolutely no variation in the coloring, which makes it look more like vinyl. Also the color is Very Different, not even in the ball park. Has a lot more yellowish green undertones, not milk chocolate. I'm almost wondering if it is the same leather I picked out.

What do you think???? When I see the actual sofa's, what if I hate it?!? I spent big bucks ($12K) & I want to be happy,
    I did choose a reputable, large company to purchase from; from what I could tell with research probably the best in the area. I do have plans to keep furnishing my home from them & they know that.

Thank you for giving us a safe, honest place to come. You are a treasure!!!

Default Re: H & M sofa's actual hyde very different from leather swatch

Piazza is a Finished (Painted) leather from China in spite of it's Italian-sounding name. Its a very consistent product from batch to batch and as it is with most painted leathers, you really don't need to get a Cutting For Approval as it slows the order process down as you have discovered. Piazza generally does NOT have markings and variations, you need an aniline leather for that.

If you requested a CFA (Cutting For Approval) and it was done properly by your dealer, your items will not begin production until you approve that swatch. So you can easily change your selection, as they haven't even begun building the frame - nor will they - until you approve the CFA. The delay was probably caused because they were out of stock of your chosen color at H&M and it just arrived. The only way your pieces would be in production would be if the dealer approved the sample prior to sending it to you and they should not be doing that.

Here on the forum, go to LEATHER>A PRIMER IN LEATHER and study that section, then change the hide on your order if you're not happy with that CFA of Piazza in your possession. It costs you nothing to make the change or even cancel the entire order at this point as your order exists only on paper at H&M with an open CFA on it.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

TexasMom Guest

What timing! My 2 sofa's have arrived at the furniture store! Looks like they mailed my swatch when they shipped the order.
    I did not technically say I wanted to approve leather first (didn't know that was an option). Do u think my store 'approved' anything before it was built? Is that standard?
    I saw the same swatch variation at 2 other stores.
    My salesman knew I wanted the markings & indicated I would get it, just like the sample.
    Any more guidance? If H&M knew the situation, would they do anything now???

If you didn't specify a CFA (Cutting For Approval) then your items simply when into the normal order que and were made. Your sample is just that then, a random sample.

Your point of contact to resolve any issue is your selling dealer, not Hancock & Moore. You are the store's customer and the store is H&M's customer. That's how the system structures.

All leather has variances and as you probably can note, on the back of every sample is a disclaimer that will tell you there are those variances. I'd suggest you enjoy your new pieces and not worry about them matching to a random sample. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.