Thread: Sofa Advice required.....

vikkid Guest

Default Sofa Advice required.....

I live in an apartment in NJ and am considering buying new living room furniture. My job requires frequent relocations, sometimes for as short as for 3 months, and as far as the
    west coast. So, I am not a big fan of buying expensive furniture, nor do I concider using furniture for more than 2 years tops. Based on these factors, I have ordered my
    requirements for the "ideal" Sofa as follows-
    1. Low price
    2. Comfortable - important, especially since I like to kick back and relax(lie down) while watching TV.
    3. Good Looks - needs to be decent, can live with "plain" casual designs.
    4. Be light & easy to maneuver -so I can move it myself if I end up having to move few hundred miles away.
    5. Easy to maintain- as I rarely find time to clean it myself, and the maid doesn’t do the upholstery.
    6. Utility - Would be great to have a decent sofa-bed, for the occasional guest, or storage space etc.

I hear there are many experts here , so I thought I'd bounce some ideas off you. I am considering 'Jennifer Convertibles' particularly the 'Flounder Sofa + chaise' & the ‘Maverick Dual Recliner’ sofa that is currently on sale for $449 and $399 respectively. I was sure I wanted these until I heard some bad reviews about 'JC', and heard people call it bad quality, poor customer service etc etc...

I’m confused. Given my situation, do you think these negative factors even matter?
    - If they do, can you tell me some of the cons of getting the sofa from Jennifer Convertibles, something that is not subjective (particularly the models I mentioned)?
    - Can I get better furniture for a similar price?
    - Do you have any recommendations for me?

Thanks for your time.
    Vik
    Last edited by vikkid; 08-21-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: adjusted the layout

soster Guest

I'd avoid a cheap reclining sofa. They aren't built as well, and won't handle the stress of being moved so many times. Those prices are so cheap you can consider the furniture disposable, so don't worry about it too much. I don't think you can get better built for that price, and you don't need it to be better since you only plan to keep it 2 years. I do hope you consider buying something nice one day.....

You have a bit of a furniture paradox at work there, Vic. As Steve says, you really can't expect much out of cheap furniture. Its going to fail quickly in most cases. Some companies that service that end of the market are now using cardboard as internal frame components!

What I would do is look for better names on Craigslist and buy used. There are some incredible deals to be had that way if you are not picky about color and style. I'd rather buy a 10-year-old Hancock and Moore sofa for $ 400 than a brand new one for the same money at Marlo's for example. Like this one I just found:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/fur/755871876.html

New, that's a $ 2,500 sofa.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

soster Guest

That's just north of the NJ border with NYS. Duane's right, you missed a good one there.