Thread: Adjusting recliners recline tension?

Fahrenheit Guest

Default Adjusting recliners recline tension?

After spending way to long picking out a recliner I found one that doesn't hurt my bad back. Now that I got it home I do indeed love it but the tension on the recline is not enough for me. I wanna be able to sit up right with the legs up and if I want give a little push to get me laying more flat. As it is now if I put my weight on it it just recline. Google says most recliners have a knob to turn to adjust this but mine doesn't seem to have it. Heres some pics of the guts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130216_082807.jpg 
Views:	9237 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	4379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130216_082817.jpg 
Views:	6676 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	4380

As you can see, the one side has 2 springs and the other has 1 spring. Think they just forgot to put one on at the factory?

Default Re: Adjusting recliners recline tension?

You appear to have a non-adjustable one. If there is a tension adjust, there is a wing nut at the end of the spring that you can crank down or loosen for tension. Only about half the recliners on the market have that model that is adjustable. You can call the manufacturer (or your dealer ) and have them make in inquiry if there is a stronger spring on it. If you're handy, you can go to the hardware store and buy some springs and add one to it - a bit tricky, but do-able.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Fahrenheit Guest

Default Re: Adjusting recliners recline tension?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You appear to have a non-adjustable one. If there is a tension adjust, there is a wing nut at the end of the spring that you can crank down or loosen for tension. Only about half the recliners on the market have that model that is adjustable. You can call the manufacturer (or your dealer ) and have them make in inquiry if there is a stronger spring on it. If you're handy, you can go to the hardware store and buy some springs and add one to it - a bit tricky, but do-able.
    Thanks, year im gonna try and match up some new springs. Did email the manufacturer to see what they say.