Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bradington Young Tightback Sofa

kellienoelle Guest

Default Bradington Young Tightback Sofa

I had sent this via PM to Duane, which is graciously responded to, but recommended that I repost here to see if anybody else has any ideas or thoughts.

"Hi Duane,

I am a member of Gardenweb and found your wonderful site and store through a search there. We are in the market for a nice leather sofa, our first "nice" sofa. I don't think that I can quite stomach the cost of H&M so are looking at Bradington Young as a more reasonable alternative. Based on the online accolades, it sounds like you are the guy to order from if shipping is a possibility. We live in Kansas City, MO, so if you can't ship that far, you can ignore the rest . I wasn't sure if this should be posted on the forum instead of a PM since I do plan on purchasing if possible. If you would prefer this on the forum, let me know and I can post there.

Here are our parameters followed by what I am thinking....

1. We have two dogs (medium sized at about 30 lbs, long haired, not chewers) who are getting old and have always been welcome on the furniture so feel there is no keeping them off now. We have two not high quality leather chairs that are approximately 10 year old, the dogs have long ago claimed them...and they still look like they are brand new. They are black, not great looking, and we may or may not end up keeping them. From my research, it would appear that the lower grade leathers stand up to pets better. This would explain why they have been bullet proof, and I won't complain, good for our wallet. I am thinking a grade 1-2 with a bit of texture would be best.

2. We have purchased a new house and don't have the exact measurements, but think it will need to be on the more petite size, particularly in depth. Fortunately, I like the tight back option. We plan on having the sofa in a "floating" location in a hearth room that is open to the kitchen, so would like it finished and as nice from the back as the front. From looking at the BY site, I really like the appearance of 417-95 (Corbeau Stationary Sofa). The only other stationary is 669-95 (Wykeham) but it is a bit deeper, and I am not sure that we need that (I am 5'5", husband is 6'0").

3. This will be our primary "hangout" space, so, while I want it to be comfortable, the last thing I want is a sloppy black leather bachelor sofa (if that makes sense).

4. We'll be doing a medium tone tan, maybe in semi-analine. I do like soft and buttery leather, but am obviously aware of the limitations of budget and pet friendly.

So, with all of that being said, I would love to work with you. We aren't tied to BY so if you have any other suggestions, I am all ears.

Thanks for your time,
    kellienoelle"

So if anybody has seen either the Wykeham or Corbeau sofas, would love to hear what you think, if you have a pet friendly leather you have discovered, whould love to hear all about it. If you love your sofa so much better than the BY, would love to hear from you.

Daisymarie18 Guest

Default Re: Bradington Young Tightback Sofa

Quote Originally Posted by kellienoelle View Post
    I had sent this via PM to Duane, which is graciously responded to, but recommended that I repost here to see if anybody else has any ideas or thoughts.

"Hi Duane,

I am a member of Gardenweb and found your wonderful site and store through a search there. We are in the market for a nice leather sofa, our first "nice" sofa. I don't think that I can quite stomach the cost of H&M so are looking at Bradington Young as a more reasonable alternative. Based on the online accolades, it sounds like you are the guy to order from if shipping is a possibility. We live in Kansas City, MO, so if you can't ship that far, you can ignore the rest . I wasn't sure if this should be posted on the forum instead of a PM since I do plan on purchasing if possible. If you would prefer this on the forum, let me know and I can post there.

Here are our parameters followed by what I am thinking....

1. We have two dogs (medium sized at about 30 lbs, long haired, not chewers) who are getting old and have always been welcome on the furniture so feel there is no keeping them off now. We have two not high quality leather chairs that are approximately 10 year old, the dogs have long ago claimed them...and they still look like they are brand new. They are black, not great looking, and we may or may not end up keeping them. From my research, it would appear that the lower grade leathers stand up to pets better. This would explain why they have been bullet proof, and I won't complain, good for our wallet. I am thinking a grade 1-2 with a bit of texture would be best.

2. We have purchased a new house and don't have the exact measurements, but think it will need to be on the more petite size, particularly in depth. Fortunately, I like the tight back option. We plan on having the sofa in a "floating" location in a hearth room that is open to the kitchen, so would like it finished and as nice from the back as the front. From looking at the BY site, I really like the appearance of 417-95 (Corbeau Stationary Sofa). The only other stationary is 669-95 (Wykeham) but it is a bit deeper, and I am not sure that we need that (I am 5'5", husband is 6'0").

3. This will be our primary "hangout" space, so, while I want it to be comfortable, the last thing I want is a sloppy black leather bachelor sofa (if that makes sense).

4. We'll be doing a medium tone tan, maybe in semi-analine. I do like soft and buttery leather, but am obviously aware of the limitations of budget and pet friendly.

So, with all of that being said, I would love to work with you. We aren't tied to BY so if you have any other suggestions, I am all ears.

Thanks for your time,
    kellienoelle"

So if anybody has seen either the Wykeham or Corbeau sofas, would love to hear what you think, if you have a pet friendly leather you have discovered, whould love to hear all about it. If you love your sofa so much better than the BY, would love to hear from you.
    kellienoelle,
    Welcome!! I'll add my 2 cents, though its not worth much! B&Y makes a nice piece, I sat on a lot of them before settling on my final choices...I've never come across a tight back from them before though. Just going off the measurements, both of these sofa's height seems to be on the short side? I'm seeing that the overall height of the Corbeau is only 32.5"? Make sure your husband is ok with that, being 6' he won't be able to lean back and rest his shoulders very well. The Wykeham looks slightly taller at 34.5, I think it would be a little more comfortable for him. I like the seat depth in both, though. If you are sold on B&Y, whatever you do don't go sit on Hancock and Moore...that's what happened to me. I started out looking for a B&Y sectional, and am now ending up ordering a room full of H&M . But if your options are open, H&M makes some amazing tight back sofas, and if you can decide quickly they are 5% off through Duane only until March 3
    Last edited by Daisymarie18; 02-27-2013 at 01:35 PM.

crunchysue Guest

Welcome, kellienoelle! Have you read this leather primer thread yet? It's a great place to start.
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ecting-leather

And there is lots of information about dogs on leathers spread around the forums - a quick search will give you plenty of reading material!

Sorry I can't be of any help with BY specifically, since I've only been researching Hancock & Moore, but I can tell you that I have two dogs who are more than welcome on my furniture, and I've chosen unprotected Aniline hides for my new sofa and chair based on everything I've read here.

kellienoelle Guest

Thank you for the responses!

Sounds like I have some research to do with appropriate leather for dogs. Part of my reluctance in the H&M sofa is with the cost I think I would be paranoid. I don't panic at all having them lay all over my $1,000 sofa, and feel like I could ease my way in with the cost of a BY, but if I have spent to money on a H&M, I would be trying to shoo them off, and that is not how I want to live! Guess it doesn't hurt to look at them though. And with 5% off, that makes it all the better.

I'll have to put some thought into the height of the sofa, I prefer it to be on the lower side because it's back will face the kitchen (it is open) and don't want it to be too much of a barrier. If it was against a wall I wouldn't care so much. Guess I will have to take my husband around and have him do some sitting to see that it is comfortable for him too. I think our current sofa is on the lower side too (I'll measure when I get home), and never felt uncomfortable before. More food for thought so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Question....since this will be my first "special order", I think it will be hard to find a sofa locally to try out that has the things that I want (brand, leather, tightback vs. cushioned, etc). How can you know that the one that you selected will actually be comfortable? I obviously want it to look nice, but since it's function is for sitting, that is important too!

tpbolts Guest

We are in the same predicament as original poster kellienoelle. Looking to buy our first quality living room furniture. My husband wanted leather sofa. We have dogs-55 lbs, 10 lbs, and 6 lbs-all welcome to sit on the sofa. Sofa will be in the open space living room with its back towards the kitchen & dining space. It will be floating in the middle of the space - therefore we are trying to stay away from bigger bulky since the space is not huge.

We are still considering both brands BY & H&M-of course with budget taken into cosideration. Current sofa is on the lower side - i think around 31-32". It has loose pillow but I really dislike the "sagging" look effect of the back pillow after a while so we are thinking about tightback. My husband is 6'1 and I am 5'3. Our current sofa resemble lynne model from H&M but shorter back.

We are looking at the following models:
    studio - H&M
    meadows - H&M
    corbeau - B&Y
    wykeham - B&Y
    filmore - H&M

Would like to hear feedback on these models. How is the tightback is affecting the comfort of sitting on it? It will be in our main living space-watching TV, video game, occasional dinner & drinks, and of course the 3 dogs (sometimes more than 3 since we are also fostering dog for our animal rescue group from time to time?)

You have to keep in mind that no cover - and no upholstery - is designed with pets in mind. So once you introduce that into the equation you're never going to find one that is 'dog' or 'cat' resistant. If you choose to have your pets up on the upholstery you pretty much have to accept the fact that they can cause damage, either very light or sometimes more severe, and the real solution is to keep them off the furniture (I have a Westie, and he gets up on all our sofas and chairs in the family room and we accept that and the subsequent light scratches he puts in the leathers). So don't buy for the dog - buy it for YOU and make the choices on what YOU like.

Probably the perfect sofa based is the H&M Carmen. Its by far the most handsome when floating in a room in a mid-size sofa. But its not an inexpensive sofa. Studio & Meadows have a short back height - not sure your 6' 1" husband would like it. Filmore would be good.

B-Ys : Corbeau : Short back again. Wykemam : That would be OK

Tightbacks are just firmer sits, I happen to like them myself, but its personal preference.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

kellienoelle Guest

I went to look at a local high end furniture store this weekend. It was a bit frustrating as they really had nothing to show me on their showroom floor. I explained that I wanted a tightback, but they kept showing me the overstuffed types that I said that I didn't want, probably because that was all they had on their floor. But it more came off that they weren't listening to what I was looking for. Or maybe hoping to appeal to my husbands sense of comfort by having him be engulfed by cushy leather. And they didn't really have any suggestions for me about getting the look that I wanted....or if it would be comfortable for both my husband and I with our different heights. While I do understand that they can't carry all the styles of furniture, I guess I was hoping to get more guidance. So I am back to being as confused as ever.

I should also mention that I am not concerned about some little scratches from the dogs on the leather, but would like to select a type that will hold up the best to them. Two inexpensive recliners (Natuzzi) that have been very well used by the dogs over the past several years have held up very very well, so I was hoping to select a leather that will equal this in durability. Perhaps I should just get another inexpensive Natuzzi and if it isn't long lasting, it will be OK since I didn't spend much! And I don't mind a firmer sit, but don't want it to be like I am sitting on a park bench.
    Last edited by kellienoelle; 03-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.

I also dislike the sagging, squishy back pillow look and feel, which is why I chose a tight-back HM model. If you are more comfortable in the BY price range, I like the look of the Wykeham quite a bit. I can't speak to how comfortable it is, never having sat in it.

Did you look at the McNary in the HM Town and Country? It's a tight-back sofa that would be priced better than some of the other models being in that program.

Well, I can't advise you on a leather because as I posted before - they aren't designed for pet usage. I don't want to suggest a hide and then get a phone call in two or three years that goes like "But you said...." and yes, that does happen. You learn to be very cautious with recommendations as a dealer over time because of that as some of those calls can be quite heated and <surprise!> I don't enjoy them.

Every H&M leather has a Serviceability rating on it, and 1 is the the durable (I believe there is only one leather series with that designator) the 2, 3 an 4. So check out the 2's as there are quote a few of those in the line, but they don't all perform exactly the same. Best thing to do is narrow down 10 to 12 hides you like, then PM me with your address and request free samples. Once you get the swatches, you can torture test them and decide for yourself.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

crunchysue Guest

And another good plan is to search these forums and see what other dog owners have chosen - there are lots of us here! I, personally, chose Weston and Tiburon for a chair and a sofa, but that was just last week, so I can't really speak to how they'll look after 30 years of dogs jumping on and off them. But I think they'll be just fine, if not even better looking.