Thread: Aftermarket Leather Protection?

needstuff Guest

Default Aftermarket Leather Protection?

I am looking into leather options for a new purchase, and a couple of the choices that might otherwise be desirable for me ( eg Weston) are not protected.

I was wondering if there are products avialable one can spray onto the leather, after purchase, to obtain much or all of the missing protective capabilities without damaging or discoloring the leather. (or the sitter).

Unfortunately this will be the one piece in the living room that some of us may well occasionally wind up eating while sitting in, and it would give me greater piece of mind to have some level of protection.
    Not all the leathers in the H&M product line are available in this case since we are getting it in blue.

needstuff Guest

Default Re: Aftermarket Leather Protection?

Went to a store today, seeking answers. Salesperson didn't know either.
    Their first reaction was that anything one puts on the leather would void the H&M warranty. This doesn't smell completely right though, because right here I've seen recommendations for use of conditioners, as being necessary actually, and also for spray-on UV protection.

Salesperson called someone else. Then said primary benefit of the protection was to mitigate color changes. Unprotected will change colors over time, for example frequent sitting will make them shinier. protected will be more color-fast. Whoever they called also did not recommend that anything be put on it, but did not say one coudn't do it, or cite any warranty issue. Their expressed concern was about potential color change. They referred me to some leather treatment shop who they said would be the best party to advise me about what could be done.

I have not called the leather treatment shop.

The trip to the actual store was useful though, seeing the swatches in person is a lot different than on the computer screen.

So I have not come to the bottom line of the aftermarket protection question. And as it turns out, this may be more than theoretically relevant, since I looked at samples once I was there. I wound up preferring an unprotected leather that I hadn't considered before I visited an actual physical store with all the samples.

Offhand I don't see why something like this wouldn't exist. I have nice leather shoes from Quoddy Trail, they make some natural beeswax stuff to waterproof them. Scotchguarding is in common use on lots of fabrics.
    Last edited by needstuff; 04-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.

needstuff Guest

Just found a prior thread which discusses some related issues:
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...eaning-Regimen

post # 16 re: leathermagic:
    "There is Protection Cream which forms a barrier to oily and acidic spills, and UV protection against sunlight fade (IMPORTANT!) as well as an ink remover".

The phone # they gave to call in post #40 on that thread is the same phone # I was given.

You got some pretty bad information from that store...

Have you read "A Primer on Leather" here on the forum? Do that first - because you will discover that "Protected" does not mean armored, it means its a painted leather. Read that, then come back and ask some questions. Yes, there are barrier products you can put on aniline hides that work well for blocking oil and acid stains. Few food stains are ever permanent as long as you try to scrub them out with water (that sets the stain in leather). Most will leach out on their own in 24 to 72 hours.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

needstuff Guest

Read it, thanks. Question answered, " Yes, there are barrier products .."

I do have one follow-up question, but not about that, rather about what you said last in the post above:
    "Few food stains are ever permanent as long as you try to scrub them out with water (that sets the stain in leather). "

I thought setting a stain is bad. Did you mean "as long as you do NOT try to scrub them out with water"??

Correct! I left out a word in the sentence! Don't set any stain in leather with water. Water saturation on leather does more damage than most anything else short of permanent markers.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.