Thread: B-Y Sheffield

yogi Guest

Smile B-Y Sheffield

I’m looking at a leather B-Y sofa, loveseat and recliner. My wife and I liked the Sheffield line. It was very comfortable. The price is 6100 total including delivery. After reading on this forum about H&M I looked at there sofa’s online and thought the Journey matched what my wife and I liked about the Sheffield. We have not actually seen the Journey yet. Is there another H&M that matches the Sheffield. Does anyone have the Sheffield and are you happy with it? Has anyone compared the two? Do they sit the same? And how much more would the H&M cost based on the posts I’m thinking about (20%) ($1200). Are you also happy with the Journey?

Thanks
    Yogi

The Journey is one of H&M's most comfortable sitting sofas and recliner series. Even though I sell both brands I can't say that X is more comfortable then Y because that's totally subjective. What I can tell you with a degree of certainty is that the H&M product is superior in tailoring and detailing, and offers more build options and finer leathers.

Without having specific leather choices its not fair to comparison price, but the # 1724 Journey Sofa in Document Tobacco Leather (Grade 2) is $ 2,526, and the # 7039 Journey Lounger (recliner) in the same hide is $ 1,462. (shipping additional depending on where you live and final product mix). Those are the Town and Country promo prices (Loveseat is NOT in that series, so consider two sofas instead). Other leathers and colors and coming out of the T&C program will make the prices higher.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

debbimc Guest

Smile

the Journey is quite a bit less expensive than the Bradley I asked about. If I understood correctly --about $1000. That sounds like a very good price on the Journey sofa., similar to price on BY sofa. I think I like the look of the Citizen & understand it is not on the T&C program. Could I ask what price point in a HM #2 leather on the Citizen?
    Also, the BY style 524-95 w/ 9511-83F leather ? I assume the F designates finished? thanks

Sure.

The # 1726 Citizen Sofa prices out at $ 3,451 in a Grade 2 leather, and during the sale period (now through March 9th) will be $ 3,278 + shipping.

On the B-Y # 524-95 in 9511 leather, it would be $ 2,168 + shipping. Yes, that's a finished leather.
    Duane Collie

debbimc Guest

Smile H&M is fine

OMG the more I look at pictures of H&M & compare to BY--the more I see the elegance in quality. Duane is to blame. I don't like the look of the cushoin seams on some of the BY sofas (only in pics) I need to do a final analysis of my $$.

Its hard to go back to Hamburger when you've seen the Steak <g>

You know what I think one of the main differences is? Its attention to detail.

H&M spends a LOT of time and money by hiring professional furniture designers to develop their pieces. Most are out of New York City, some from Chicago and L.A., but they are expensive to retain and commission to do a piece. That's why their pieces have a 'snap' to them in design, whereas the other companies simply wait and see whats new and knock it off the best they can from a picture.

H&M is more attuned to customer / dealer service than other companies. They're more responsive to dealer requests (notice how fast those leather swatches got on the web site last month), always have someone who answers the phone in customer service, and aren't stingy when it comes to sending out samples of leather or catalogs/dvds, etc.

Case in point, yesterday I had a customer in the store and we needed an answer to a simple question on a Leathercraft product. I call down and keep getting dropped into a voice mailbox at customer service. Three times in a row. That never happens at H&M. By the time Leathercraft called me back it was two hours later and the customer was long gone. While I had them on the phone I asked "Can you send me larger swatches? These 3" x "5 ones are too small to work with (I'm spoiled by my H&M samples over twice the size). No can do....budget cutbacks! How about a nail sample board? Nope, its printed in the catalog....budget.

Or take the Southwood Furniture catalog. Its so old, it was last revised around 1993. Still has black and white photos in it. Their leather swatches are even smaller than Leathercraft's!

I have the Owner and CEO of Hancock & Moore's direct phone number that I can call anytime (and frequently do on Saturdays). He's never too busy to answer a simple question for me, or take time to say 'hi', and I'm a small potatoes dealer.

And these other companies wonder how H&M does what they do...
    Duane Collie

soster Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Its hard to go back to Hamburger when you've seen the Steak <g>

You know what I think one of the main differences is? Its attention to detail.

H&M spends a LOT of time and money by hiring professional furniture designers to develop their pieces. Most are out of New York City, some from Chicago and L.A., but they are expensive to retain and commission to do a piece. That's why their pieces have a 'snap' to them in design, whereas the other companies simply wait and see whats new and knock it off the best they can from a picture.

H&M is more attuned to customer / dealer service than other companies. They're more responsive to dealer requests (notice how fast those leather swatches got on the web site last month), always have someone who answers the phone in customer service, and aren't stingy when it comes to sending out samples of leather or catalogs/dvds, etc.

Case in point, yesterday I had a customer in the store and we needed an answer to a simple question on a Leathercraft product. I call down and keep getting dropped into a voice mailbox at customer service. Three times in a row. That never happens at H&M. By the time Leathercraft called me back it was two hours later and the customer was long gone. While I had them on the phone I asked "Can you send me larger swatches? These 3" x "5 ones are too small to work with (I'm spoiled by my H&M samples over twice the size). No can do....budget cutbacks! How about a nail sample board? Nope, its printed in the catalog....budget.

Or take the Southwood Furniture catalog. Its so old, it was last revised around 1993. Still has black and white photos in it. Their leather swatches are even smaller than Leathercraft's!

I have the Owner and CEO of Hancock & Moore's direct phone number that I can call anytime (and frequently do on Saturdays). He's never too busy to answer a simple question for me, or take time to say 'hi', and I'm a small potatoes dealer.

And these other companies wonder how H&M does what they do...
    We used to sell Emerson leather. About 10 years ago they carried a sectional that had a matching loveseat but not a matching sofa. So a customer walks in on a Saturday and wants to order it as a sofa. I told him I'd have to check with the factory and he turned around to leave and I said wait a second.

I went in back, caught my breath, came out and looked at the three cushion part of the sectional. Not a complicated piece, clearly a bolt-on arm, and so I added a little to the price for the arm on both sides and I sold it to him.

Monday I place the order and follow it up with a phone call and the factory manager says no we can't do that. He said approval would have to come from Emerson Glenn himself, and that Emerson was away for two weeks and couldn't be reached.

I explained how simple it would be to make the sofa from the existing sectional piece, and the manager agreed, but again said nothing could happen without Emerson's approval.

I explained that he had the choice of having the boss mad at him for making a customer happy in his absence, or having the boos mad for losing a sale in his absence. I went into motivational speaker mode and inspired him to make the right choice.

Sadly, what made this situation unique was that the plant manager actually did the right thing as I asked/inspired him to. And the customer was indeed very happy. But that mentality may be part of the reason this company closed down many years ago.