Thread: Overwhelmed Newbie

mrspooley Guest

Default Overwhelmed Newbie

Thank you for this wonderful forum.

Shopping for a good quality sectional for our family room. The choices here are limited: Ethan Allen, Pottery Barn and a few lower end stores. I don't want to purchase something we haven't sat on first. Any suggestions?

We've been living outside the USA the past 7 years and are finally in our new home. Our belongs were in storage all these years and I'm finding much of it no longer works. Attached is a photo of the space. Planning on donating or moving the existing furniture to another room.

Thank you kindly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	290 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	4630  

TrevOU Guest

Default Re: Overwhelmed Newbie

I'm a newbie to this forum, but not to buying furniture. You couldn't pay me to put Pottery Barn in my home, the quality isn't there. To me it seems like Ikea, but with nicer veneers. If you want more information check out this article; it's a few years old, but if you visit one of their stores you can tell the quality is still nonexistant (especially for their prices).

http://www.edeninteriors.com/wp-cont...-Unstuffed.pdf

I don't know much about Ethan Allen, their style isn't like mine.

What you currently have doesn't look bad to me. Unless the picture is deceiving, I wouldn't donate the stuff you have it looks nice already.

Default Re: Overwhelmed Newbie

I suggest waiting until you have the chance to sit on some better quality furniture. If you're planning to be in the new house for a long time, you want pieces that will last. That article TrevOU posted is spot on. Pottery Barn styles are pretty in the catalogs and might be fine to use a few things from them like accent pieces, but for your main furniture pieces you are going to sit on and lounge on and will take the most wear and tear, I'd go for better quality construction and materials. I ordered a sofa from Duane without ever sitting on the exact model and am crossing fingers that I love it, but feel confident I will after doing enough research and sitting on some similar pieces. Good luck!