Thread: Need clarification on Terminology

Rowdymom81 Guest

Default Need clarification on Terminology

I'm just beginning my research on leather furniture and ended up here because of all the good info. Would you be so kind as to tell me the difference between "tilt-back", "incliner" and "lounger' in the H&M line? I'm pretty sure I know what a recliner is but these other terms are a bit confusing.

Thanks!!

Susan

Default Re: Need clarification on Terminology

Tilt Back : The back moves through a motion arc controlled by a release cable that operates a gas strut. The base is 8-way hand-tied springs, stationary. Needs to be used with a matching ottoman. The strongest of all motion pieces.

Incliner: A motion chair and only the footrest comes up. The back does not recline (it will shift slightly). Used mostly when a sofa is pushed up against a wall and there is no room for a recliner. Uses a integrated mechanism.

Lounger: Same as a Recliner. Years ago, a 'Recliner' was operated by an outside lever that you pulled, and a 'Lounger' was operated by pushing back on the arms. Now days, the lever has been gone from most all pieces and the term is used interchangeably like 'pop' and 'soda' to mean a recliner.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Rowdymom81 Guest

Default Re: Need clarification on Terminology

Thanks! That helps tremendously.

Now, back to trying to make choices.