Thread: New sectional sofa hunting

ck2112 Guest

Question New sectional sofa hunting

Just got back from a local store that sells a good number of very reputable brands, based on my preliminary 'research'.
    I got a little bit of sticker shock though, but I think part of it is based on the design and size of sectional that I'm looking for.
    Wanting basically this:
    http://www.taylorking.com/details.php?productid=738

Ideally, I want a 'L' shaped sectional, with one end having a chaise. I think it's the chaise that is driving up the price far more than expected, and if that is the case, I'm perfectly willing to drop it if it means being able to get the quality I want in the price range I'm comfortable (just have a simple 'L' shape). Rough *desired* dimensions for the actual size of the sofa would be 110" x 120", but I'm willing to go smaller...again for the same reason previously stated.

The brands I'm considering initially are: H&M, Taylor King, Drexel, Huntington House, Century, and Smith Bros.

At the local store, the sales person stated that the desired sectional (with chaise) for the H&M and Taylor King would be somewhere in the $9K'ish range. Ouch!! Didn't see that coming!

The Drexel would be roughly in the $6'ish range. More pain.

He finally steered me to looking at two brands I had not initially considered - Henredon and Fairfield. After getting home, it looks like Henredon might be okay (still trying to decipher whether or not it's made in the U.S, which is important to me). As for Fairfield, I'm finding VERY little info on this company, which has me very nervous.

I'm still very eager to get to a local Smith Bros store but that won't happen for a bit.

So my question at this point is: What sort of price range should I be expecting for the brands I've mentioned in the sectional style I'm looking for (with or w/o chaise) (not leather)?
    If I'm wanting to limit myself to maybe $4.5K, should I completely rule out even looking at H&M and Taylor King? If so, what should I be looking at instead?
    Last edited by ck2112; 05-05-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Default Re: New sectional sofa hunting

There's a lot of product there with the chaise added, essentially they run about the same price as loveseat segment. Pricing depends on dealer, we all set our own prices and some charge more than others. Without knowing a fabric of leather cover or grade, its difficult to advise on pricing. I have certainly sold Taylor King in the $ 4K range using their Porfolio "America's Pride" collection, but its definitely dependent on the cover chosen.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ck2112 Guest

Default Re: New sectional sofa hunting

Appreciate the response!
    I certainly realize that the covering plays a not-insignificant part of the price. In my case, I'm looking for durability and will most likely be going with a micro-fiber/ultra-suede type of option. I don't know if these types of materials are more/less expensive on the material pricing range...but with our family of kids and such, it's really where we need to be.

It sounds like we probably need to drop the chaise, from what I'm hearing. I had no idea that this piece was going to add so much to the cost.
    What sort of price range do you think I'm looking at for an 'L' shape in the size I mentioned - in the covering I'm looking for? Ballpark?