Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marshmallow Sofa Anyone?

juraszek park Guest

Default Re: Marshmallow Sofa Anyone?

Thank you all for your input. I do love the looks of the Envelope, but would have to sit it in as the arms seem mighty high too me. I'm apprehensive about the height of the back as well since the leather sofa we have right now comes up waayyy too high behind my head and it seems like I'm stuck in a "jump seat" instead of a sofa. I guess what I'm really looking for is a "lolling" sofa, something you can lean into over the arms or throw an arm over the back of the sofa. The Crosby was interesting, but looks uncomfortable. The Madeline is divine, but very over the top Art Deco which would not fit into our life style. I'm going to go in with an open mind and search out the Envelope and the Bovey. Can I say I want "half of a hug" type of sofa??? Thanks again everyone!

juraszek park Guest

I had shingles two years ago, and I'm very skinny, so anything pressing on any part of my body causes irritation and pain. The leather welts are usually uncomfortable, hence the inquiry about one cushion. I will probably go with two since they are wider and deeper on the Bovey.

juraszek park Guest

Duane, the sofa we have now is almost an exact replica of the City Sleeper Sofa shown on your home page. Ours was done by Peter Lorentz through Darvin Furniture. Just totally uncomfortable. Those back cushions make me want to slice the sofa up and throw it out on the curb! And the low arms are basically useless. It looks like a sofa that would be in a gentlemen's cigar club, so that's where ours is heading after we get a new one. The basement! Duane, I'm looking for a sofa to "lean back" in, one that has a leaning back as I was able to move our unattached back sofa cushions (that we had for 9 years) around to come up and under my back at a slant so I was comfortable. I'm looking for a leaner / lolling sofa that I can throw a few oversized pillows in and be comfortable. Any other suggestions? It doesn't have to be H&M, but I know they are top of the line as far as leather goes...

Unless you're dead-set on a tufted back, I'd consider other tight-back sofas too with inside lengths and arms that meet your criteria, feet you like well enough, etc. Any tight-back will provide great support and you can always add some pillows to provide extra lumbar, etc.

What about the Conversation sofa? http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1732

Another tight-back that I think is very attractive and could imagine curling up in - Bradstone http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1394

Lastly - and one that I think is so good-looking - the Phillips Cafe - maybe switch out the pineapple feet if you really hate them http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1906
    It has tufting, low back, seat height and single cushion you like
    Last edited by DCGator631; 05-11-2013 at 04:10 AM.

juraszek park Guest

DCGator631, thanks for the info! The Conversation sofa looks like it could be a "maybe". The other two are simply too short in "depth" for the seat. Right now, we've got 22 inch seat depth and that's just two short to try and curl up in. I sure wish H&M would get with it and put the side and back photos on their site as well. And not show every gosh darn sofa in BROWN. The problem is NOT the support, I do not want extra support, in fact, I want to SINK into the sofa. I have arthritis in my back and neck and hips. Everything that I sit in is way too hard. Except for the old H&M Fairfax at work. Too bad it's in hunter green, or I would steal it. Plus the seat is only 16 inches high. So basically, after this last couch debacle, it would take a miracle for me to even consider a tight back. And I'm not sure if a local furniture shop could change out the feet easily on an H&M sofa???

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Quote Originally Posted by juraszek park View Post
    Duane, the sofa we have now is almost an exact replica of the City Sleeper Sofa shown on your home page. Ours was done by Peter Lorentz through Darvin Furniture. Just totally uncomfortable. Those back cushions make me want to slice the sofa up and throw it out on the curb! And the low arms are basically useless. It looks like a sofa that would be in a gentlemen's cigar club, so that's where ours is heading after we get a new one. The basement! Duane, I'm looking for a sofa to "lean back" in, one that has a leaning back as I was able to move our unattached back sofa cushions (that we had for 9 years) around to come up and under my back at a slant so I was comfortable. I'm looking for a leaner / lolling sofa that I can throw a few oversized pillows in and be comfortable. Any other suggestions? It doesn't have to be H&M, but I know they are top of the line as far as leather goes...
    I would never buy a sleep sofa unless I was using it 20 out of 30 days a month. You give up all the suspension you get on the base and the cushion is sitting atop a metal bed frame. They don't make for a good sofa OR a good bed, quite honestly. I can't do comfort recommendations, they simply don't work on a forum. That's like asking me what tastes better than chocolate ice cream and you don't like strawberry or vanilla. I can say Peach or Pistachio all day long but it doesn't mean its what you will like.

You're looking for a specific fit and the only way you will find that is to try out pieces in person until you find one you like. Good luck in your quest!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.