Thread: Another Satisified Customer - My buying experience

fdmason Guest

Default Another Satisified Customer - My buying experience

Just wanted to post a note of my experience ordering through Duane and the Keeping Room. We were in the market for a fabric sofa, fabric chair, and a leather chair & ottoman. This site was great for research and I highly recommended just browsing and searching here for answers to your common questions (read the Stickies!)

My wife and I wanted something that was going to last us 20+ years and were willing to spend a bit more for that quality level so we started looking at the better brands. We decided to take a trip to a large local dealer (long island, NY) that carried the more high end brands. After sitting on a bunch of chairs and sofas, the only ones we liked were, of course, Hancock and Moore. At this point I had no idea how much H&M's prices were, but the sticker on the floor was outrageous. But we were at least going to price it out and see what happens. We weren't in love with that particular model, but we loved the level of quality exhibited in the piece and went on their website to research our model options.

A week or two later, back to the store we went with our model choices. We had the same salesperson, and even though she was a lovely person, she just wasn't knowledgeable at all with H&M other than the standard "it's top of the line" and "you HAVE to get protected leather." So because of her suggestion, i selected Document Tobacco for the chair and ottoman and a couple of fabrics for the sofa and other chair. We were given a price, told they (the store, not H&M)were having a sale that week and to make a decision by the end of the week (this was a monday).

I left feeling a bit pressured and uncertain. I didn't feel like I was valued as anything more but just dollar signs. I was looking to spend a good amount of money and felt as if I knew more about the product than the sales person and had to answer my own questions. As much as I wanted to support a local business, being treated as a valuable customer was more important.

When I got home I jumped on the forum and researched "document tobacco." I started reading about leathers and the differences between protected and unprotected...this Duane guy knew his stuff. So I asked him a few questions via PM, the forum, and phone. He was earning my business. I was ordering sight unseen anyway, so for me the idea of purchasing long distance wasn't much of a factor. I asked for a quote. Boy, was I getting shafted locally!!! Basically I was able to get an ADDITIONAL chair (in taylor king fabric) and upgrade to Class IV leather (Capri Tobacco) and still pay LESS then I was quoted locally. So much for the "sale." I placed my order with Duane and started waiting patiently...ok maybe I was a tad impatient.

My only worry at this point was my egress and getting the items into my home. Last night, Sun Delivery came to my door and the driver says, "I have good news and bad. You want the bad first?". I gulped. He says, "I've been doing this a long time, and I don't think the sofa is gonna make it in this door." Now, when I ordered I even went so far as to pay extra for removable legs on the sofa to gain me a few inches. I said, "well the sofa is 82 inches...my door is 84...it should work...Let's see what happens."
    Made it through without a hitch, even with the legs attached! I don't remember what the good news was but it probably has something to do with having a great living room now!

Thanks to Duane and Sun Delivery. I will not hesitate to use you again. Pics forthcoming when I get a chance

Default Re: Another Satisified Customer - My buying experience

See? I told you we didn't need to pay extra for those removable legs, but did you listen to me?? <g>

Wow, that's a pretty good review. Thank you! Two things I despise about <some> other furniture stores. 1) Stupidity 2) Dishonesty. There is no excuse for either. If you are selling and representing a line, invest some time and learn your product as a salesman. Secondly, made up 'sales' that aren't really a sale at all are nothing but a lie to entrap a customer. Neither of those EVER happen at my store. If I don't know something or can't answer a question - I will find the answer. And I will never run a false sale or artificially inflate a price, nor ever use any other high pressure tactics? Why? Because I hate it when I'm a customer and those are used on me, so therefore its simply The Golden Rule in place at my store.

You will get so many years of enjoyment out of that Capri hide vs nasty ole painted Document, that you will become a leather affection-ado and walk into a Costco and see 'their' leather sofas and marvel that anyone could buy one of them. Just remember to keep the leather wiped down periodically as that really extends the usable lifespan, and once a year or so pull out the Leather Magic cleaner and Conditioner and give it a good going over.

Thanks again for your trust and your business. Most appreciated!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.