Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tight back sofa?

debbimc Guest

Default Tight back sofa?

Anyone have experience with a thight back sofa? I like the look of the McNary. Are they comfotable ? do they look well over time?

Tight backs are great. I have one in my home as our main Family Room piece (Leathercraft model 2670). They say crisp looking as they age and never really suffer compression issues in the cushions.

Leather is always one side only, but in fabric pieces you do give up the option of not being able to flip the cushions. Also, you cannot replace the back cushions without stripping off the cover (Professionally done) which may or may not be an issue based on lifestyle use.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Odd I/O Guest

Default Confused...

Duane, I thought tight back sofas are ones with no individual cushions on the back, like the Hancock and Moore Kingwood model

picture of it here: http://myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=235).

The leathercraft model you mentioned has individual cushions

picture here: http://leathercraft-furniture.com/in...ofas/2670_sofa).

Odd I/O Guest

Duane, I think you missed my question above, can you clarify for me please?

I did miss it.

Both are tightbacks, its just the Leathercraft model is designed to look like its a separate cushion, but its not.

There is also semi-attached back cushions, neither of which apply to those above. Semi-attached are separate cushions that are sewed-on, and can be moved around slightly. The problem though with semi-attached is if someone tries to pull hard on the back cushion (either in improperly moving the sofa, or kids rough-housing) they can - and will - rip the leather.
    Duane Collie

susanbluebird Guest

Duane,
    I need some input on some sofa / chair selection. My son is 19 and has autism - severe end of spectrum. He is tall and sits down heavily on the furniture. Nothing we have had has withstood his sitting. I have tried to read and learn in the forum. Went to a store today. They only 3 pieces - the austin chair and Kodiak sofa and chair. I didn't like the look of the austin but it sure was comfy! I realized a problem right away - my son will take the back cushions off so I need a tight back. I was also surprised the bottom cushions are only held in place with 2 strips of velcro. I also want to verify how the leather would withstand an occasional urine accident. She gave me a price on the Journal of $3121 , Hastings $3440. Neither include tax or shipping from the store to me (45 minutes away). I also would like a chair specifically for him to sit in with an ottoman, as well as 2 additional chairs - eventually. I live in Newburgh, NY. Thanks for your help. Susanbluebird

Hi Susan,,

There are some modifications we can make to an H&M piece to help you out and increase the durability of the sofa and/or chair. If you son 'sits hard' on the furniture, we can install (no charge) heavier springs in the deck of the pieces that will better withstand repeated weight drops into the pieces and even strengthen the frame if need be (how much does he weigh?). As to leathers, I think some of the heavier Grade 1 finished leathers, possibly some of the Grade 2's will stand up to moisture incidents. Generally speaking the more gloss on the surface of the leather, the better it will be. If we get to that point of an order, I'll make some phone calls to the leather buyers at H&M and discuss it with them at length. As to lower cushion removal, we can add more velcro to the seat deck cushions to make them harder to remove. They already require a pretty good tug to get them out, we can make it even harder.

As to frames, the Austin is probably not a good choice. The back pillows can be torn off, so I agree on the tight back. The Journal Sofa is very comfortable, and one of my favorites. My price in Grade 1 leather is $ 2,600, and in Grade 2 leather $ 3,039. The Hastings would run $ 2,865 in Grade 1 leather and $ 3,265 in Grade 2 leather.

Shipping on a sofa to you would be appx. $ 220 via Home Delivery Service.

Both those styles have matching chairs and ottomans that can go with them as well. It's good to know of special circumstances ahead of time, that way H&M can build the piece to withstand a particular kind of use. They are the ONLY upholstery company I know of that is glad to do that for their customers, and Jimmy Moore takes great pride in working up those solutions. He almost never charges extra to do it, either.
    Duane Collie

Susan, I spoke with the head leather buyer at H&M and he says there is a new product on the market that just came across his desk. Its a leather hide that is designed to repel moisture. He has not yet bought the product for H&M, but is going to look into it for us and get back to me on it in the next day or two.. He does feel that nothing they currently offer is going to stand up to a soaking moisture incident without damage, but this new leather will do the job. Other than that, he would recommend a high-grade vinyl that they use for their health-care division.

Will keep you updated.
    Duane Collie

susanbluebird Guest

okay - no vinyl for me. colors?

susanbluebird Guest

Are you telling me no one else ever has spills?