Thread: Tough Sofa

Mrsallen Guest

Default Tough Sofa

I'm in the market for a new living room set (couch, loveseat, chair), but I'm fearful that there isn't one out there that can withstand my family. I have three hooligans who jump on, occasionally spill and sometimes magic marker on the furniture. To top it off, we are in the military so our furniture gets rammed, knocked and squashed every time we move. Just in the past five years we have moved six times. Yikes!

I would love the have a couch that is soft and cozy. You know the kind where you sit down and you feel like the couch is giving you a hug. I try to keep the house pleasant and relaxing and I would like the couch to reflect that. Our current one is firm and stiff. It feels to formal and it's just not that comfortable. We are tall so bigger might be more comfortable but to big would make it harder to move. My husbands thinks a chair with a straighter back might be most comfortable for reading.

As for design, I like classic/traditional looking furniture better than modern. While a bold colored couch would be fun, I think a darker color is more practical so that marks and things don't show up easily.

I feel there are two ways I can approach my situation. I can either buy really cheap furniture often or buy something nice and hope my little darlings don't annihilate it.

What would you suggest?

Default Re: Tough Sofa

Buy cheap furniture often until the kids are out of their rowdy phase. Jumping on furniture is one of the most destructive things you can subject it too, and no one makes a piece designed for that. Magic Markers are dye-transfers and cannot come out of either leather or fabric. Wait until life settles down before you invest in good pieces. Shop for closeouts from the furniture stores or even lightly used off Craigslist, etc. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Mrsallen Guest

Default Re: Tough Sofa

You are right. My husband said the same thing but I needed to hear it from someone else. I want a big family so it will be awhile before all the kids are old enough to understand furniture is not a jungle gym. I spotted a nice looking leather flexsteel on craigslist. I hope I can snag it before someone else. Not high end but not junk and since it is second hand I won't explode if my little warrior reenacts a battle on it.