Thread: Help upholster my sofa

Conflicted Guest

Question Help upholster my sofa

I am looking for a sofa that looks like it belongs in the living room and performs like it belongs in the family room. It will get every day use primarily by adults and will often be eaten on (read food spills are a virtual certainty). I am tired of disposable furniture and am looking for something with a frame that I can expect to last 20 years and upholstery that I can expect to last 10 years.

I know, I know: kiln dried hard wood, corner blocked, double doweled, glued, and screwed, 8 way hand tied… So I am thinking H & M but open to others. I need something that is about 86” long, 40” deep, 38” tall. Does anyone have a favorite frame that sits comfortable but would look right in a formal space (maybe the Bradley or September)?

And, here is the real challenge – big points to anyone who can solve it. I would really like a golden/ wheat colored upholstery in a “W” coded fabric and ideally in a “performance” fabric (one of these indoor/ outdoors that are getting so popular). Can anyone recommend a fabric (not leather) for me (preferably from H &M or one of the Jessica Charles that crosses over) – I am willing to pay extra for wear (but you will get double points for a low price code) and I would like to avoid steep COM fees if possible.

Cheers!

Default Re: Help upholster my sofa

Well, what you are describing is a leather sofa, because it outlasts fabric at a rate of 4 to 1 and wipes up easy if you spill something on it. if you absolutely do not want leather, then this is the most durable fabric on the market today for clean-up in a residential use environment:

http://www.cryptonathome.com/

In the Hancock and Moore family of companies, its available as a Jessica Charles material (can be used on any H&M piece) and its called "Wayfair" in the JC sample set they have (6 colorways) of it:

http://www.jessicacharles.com/fabric.asp

One of the keys in high-durability fabrics (they are all man-made) is to check the 'hand' or softness of the material by getting a sample and holding it to your cheek. If its scratchy feeling, and a lot of them are, you really aren't going to want to cover your daily use sofa in it. The Crypton fabrics are decent in this regard,
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Conflicted Guest

Thanks for your reply! I know it would be so much easier if I could just sell myself on a leather sofa... I have noticed that some of the middle end manufacturers are offering Crypton or competitor product apholstery (Lee Industries, Mitchell Gold). I and am happy to see that H & M does the same via Jessica Charles though the selection is quite limited.

Does anyone else know of a really high quality manufacturer who offers more "performance" fabric options?

It seems as if the higher end sees these types of fabrics as low brow but the way I see it is that I am going to invest in a quality piece of furniture I want to give it every chance to last.

A lot of makers have bought into Crypton because nothing sticks to it. I even took a large sample and put permanent magic marker on it as they claimed that would come out. Well, it took 45 minutes of hard scrubbing with soap and water, but I did get it out with only minimal damage to the nap of the fabric, That's saying something if you can get that out of it. Its not a particularly stylish materials or plush, so the high end makers don't find it very appealing - but truth be told in the high end upholstery you are buying style more than durability.

You really can't beat leather for durability, but you will have a higher initial outlay cost.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

vbbain Guest

Responding to desire for a durable but fashionable sofa (wears line its in the den but goes in the living room): Take a look at a Hancock & Moore Sundance sofa in leather. This style has some flair and leather is both nice and durable. We are in a similar situation (the kids are grown but the dogs aren't). You can offset the leather with a fabric upholstered chair to up the "stylish" factor since a chair will likely get less use.

scone Guest

I have a couple of Crypton bolts I plan to use instead of muslin, then slipcovering over them. Sort of a belt and suspenders approach. The Crypton fabrics don't have a great hand, it must be said. They feel like something you might find in the waiting room of a doctor's office. In fact that's where they are often used, in medical situations where all sorts of icky liquids spill. OTOH, as I understand it, the Crypton fabrics are essentially soaked in a stain and moisture resistant chemical, so they shouldn't start to smell over long periods of time.

Personally, if my world were perfect, I would have only leather and cotton slipcovers. Leather looks, feels, and smells great even after it acquires a "patina," and slipcovers can go in the wash with Oxiclean. But there's a raging debate about slipcovers out among the decorator blogs-- some people love them, some hate the whole idea.

My advice to "conflicted" is to acquire a willingness to go with leather, my spouse was against it due to having other leather pieces in the room. We shopped, and shopped some more and thank goodness she arrived in a showroom that had a Sundance Sofa (just waiting for her to fall in love with). I honestly, didn't try to persuade her in this decision as I wanted the peace that we now enjoy because we both choose this great sofa.