Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Austin Tilt Back #2032NB

Gcssite Guest

Default Hancock & Moore Austin Tilt Back #2032NB

My H&M Austin sales slip from 11/97 shows model #2032NB as does the H&M product pamphlet. I have seen replies for replacing the gas strut on model #2232NB. I have the problem of the back going down but not coming up. Is the info you provided for modle #2232NB the same for my model? Thanks!

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Austin Tilt Back #2032NB

Your gas strut is shot. Current part cost is $ 50 from the dealer of your choice. When the strut arrives DO NOT REMOVE THE RETAINING CLIPS. If you do, it will not install, the clips are not to be removed until its installed in the chair. if you're handy and don't mind pulling the back off (its stapled on) you can DIY, its just held in with cir-clips. If you're not them call a upholstery service that will come to your home and they will do it for the price of a service call.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Gcssite Guest

Thanks very much! I've shined a high power light through the back and can see about half of the strut. I'm thinking pulling about half of the back off will give enough access certainly to work on the lower portion of the strut but can't see the upper cir clip. Do you think the whole back should be/has to be removed? Also, don't think Tampa has dealers for these parts so I will try Debbie...and would like to contact you if she can't help. Again, many thanks for your insight!

The guys at the H&M factory can slip them in without taking anything off, they do it so much and so often they can operate by feel alone. The clips are pretty easy to feel for if you can wiggle your hands in there. One each on top and bottom of the strut.
    Duane Collie

Gcssite Guest

I have about half the back off now and can see it will be a fun job! Thanks...your advice is greatly appreciated!

Gcssite Guest

Fearless Leader! I have opened the back and disconnected the hitch pin that holds the piston in place at the bottom end. I am not sure there is a circlip on the top end. It feels like two nuts on either side of the steel support. I can feel the plastic "V" shaped piece where the cable is connected and a nut that I can move on either side of the strut body. Am I missing something? I am not sure how to proceed! Thanks!

Gcssite Guest

It's out! Loosened the two nuts, which allowed the threaded end of the strut to be backed out of the plastic "V" piece attached to the cable. The plastic piece has fine threads so it takes care to not bung-up the fine threads...which I did. ! Many thanks once again for your help!

Excellent. Now you just need the new strut and you are back in business.
    Duane Collie

myhmchair Guest

Thank you for your forum Mr. Collie. I, too, need a gas strut replacement for my Hancock & Moore Tilt Back #2032NB. I am having no success getting one on my own. I have contacted the company as well as dealers-no one wants to bother. I'm not the original purchaser of the chair. Can I buy one directly from you? If so what is the procedure for doing so. Hope you can help. Thanks so much

Just call my store to order, they are $ 60 and that includes shipping 48 state. 703-360-6399.
    Duane Collie