Thread: Need recliner advice

dottie Guest

Default Need recliner advice

I need to find a suitable recliner or chair and ottoman for my husband. Due to a disability, he sleeps in a chair, which is the same one he uses for watching TV. His weight is in excess of 300 lbs, although he is only around 5 ft, 6 inches tall. We need something that is comfortable, yet heavy duty. I welcome any suggestions.

Dottie, the "King of All Chairs" in this instance (as long as he doesn't need a power lift to get him in and out of the chair) is the Hancock and Moore Austin Tilt Back Chair and Ottoman. This chair is routinely voted as "The Most Comfortable"
    by the vast majority of customers who come in my store, and is the top selling motion piece at H&M.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1678

He won't need the High Back Model at 5' 6", and H&M will put heavy-duty springs and internal cushions in at no extra charge upon request to accommodate his weight. Buy the chair in a grade 1 or 2 leather, and you'll be good to go.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Dottie, the "King of All Chairs" in this instance (as long as he doesn't need a power lift to get him in and out of the chair) is the Hancock and Moore Austin Tilt Back Chair and Ottoman. This chair is routinely voted as "The Most Comfortable"
    by the vast majority of customers who come in my store, and is the top selling motion piece at H&M.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1678

He won't need the High Back Model at 5' 6", and H&M will put heavy-duty springs and internal cushions in at no extra charge upon request to accommodate his weight. Buy the chair in a grade 1 or 2 leather, and you'll be good to go.
    Duane,

What might the H&M recliner equivalent be to that?

Not sure there is one. The Tilt Back Chair is stronger than a recliner, by the nature of the design. It can take a considerable amount more structural load which is why I recommended it for a 300 lb man who uses it a lot. Recliners by their very nature (all recliners, doesn't matter who makes it) are a series of segments that is more or less held in place by the motion mechanism itself. They can't begin to approach the strength and torsional rigidity of a framed chair. The Tilt backs are conventional framed chair on the bottom, and only the back is a motion piece.

However, if you're asking me which recliners in H&M I find most comfortable I think the Sadler and Miller are near the top.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Not sure there is one. The Tilt Back Chair is stronger than a recliner, by the nature of the design. It can take a considerable amount more structural load which is why I recommended it for a 300 lb man who uses it a lot. Recliners by their very nature (all recliners, doesn't matter who makes it) are a series of segments that is more or less held in place by the motion mechanism itself. They can't begin to approach the strength and torsional rigidity of a framed chair. The Tilt backs are conventional framed chair on the bottom, and only the back is a motion piece.

However, if you're asking me which recliners in H&M I find most comfortable I think the Sadler and Miller are near the top.
    Duane,

Thanks I was asking more for my curiosity (didn't mean to hijack the thread) since someday in the future I might be looking at adding a new recliner/tilt back to my home. I did buy a recliner in my last furniture purchase, I went with the full recliner instead of tilt back because I did not have room for an Ottoman at the time. I just checked out the H&M Miller and liked the looks of it, of course the recliner I previously bought is similar to my eyes at least -

H&M Miller - http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1204

SB Recliner- http://www.smithbrothersfurniture.co...rs_style6.html (mine came with the square legs just like the above H&M has and I got in fabric but not the red/gold shown on that page)
    Last edited by Briant73; 02-11-2009 at 04:18 PM.

dottie Guest

Duane, could you give me a quote on this chair in both grade 1 and grade 2 leather. How much would shipping be to Huntersville, NC? Thanks.

Hi Dottie,

Pricing can be a bit confusing on this one, as its part of Town and Country collection, but here goes:

# 2032NB Austin Tilt Back Chair and # 8131NB Ottoman

In Document Chestnut, Cavalier Henna, Cavalier Dark Blue T&C $ 1,329 / $ 477

In Any other Cavalier Color T&C $ 1,502 / $ 517

In Any other Document Color T&C $ 1,728 / $ 557

Then out of the main price book (we have a 5% off sale in the main book leathers, which I will include that discount in figuring the price, expires 03/09)

Any Grade 1 leather $ 1,603 / $ 552

Any Grade 2 leather $ 1,855 / $ 605

Delivery via Home Delivery Service should run you appx $ 100 - $ 110.

Thanks!
    Duane Collie