Thread: Value Vs Quality Compromise

carebee Guest

Default Value Vs Quality Compromise

I've just begun my search for new family room seating. We will have four active children under 5, a dog, and four adults using the room, so durability is important and it would nice to find something roomy to maximize seating. We also want something that will be extremely comfortable. We don't have an over the top budget, yet want something that will LAST and that will not show wear readily. So my question is, what brand should I look at that would be a good compromise between value and quality? Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: Value Vs Quality Compromise

I think its more important to look and understand what makes a good piece of furniture - then go shopping with your new-found knowledge. Manufacturer's are always changing the way they build pieces - so a rock solid 'brand' may not be built the same way it was 3 or 4 years ago. Manufacturer's are under constant and relenting pressure to deliver less costly goods to the consumers. The dealers demand it because the retail customer demands it. The only way to do that is either reduce the cost of labor, or reduce the cost of raw materials, or both. So a brand that had a good rep a few years back may not be the same piece any more.

You are seeking what everyone else is seeking. Durable, comfortable, and moderate in price. You can have any two of those, but not all three! Then again, we have to define what the budget is. To some folks, $ 1,000 is a lot to pay for a sofa, to others, $ 3,000 is acceptable. Where do you want to be on price?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

carebee Guest

Thanks for your quick reply! We were hoping to get a good quality mid-level sofa for around $2000. The saleswoman at the last store we went to recommended England brand. A neighbor went with Lane. Another friend loves her Arhaus sectional. Macy's seemed to have some pretty pieces along with Ashley. We are so confused! There are so many choices, I was thinking if we could narrow it down to a brand that currently makes a good product overall, we could then try and wade through the vast design and style choices!

I'n not familiar with "England" brand, but if you can - steer clear of Ashley. In the $ 2K range I happen to like Taylor King (disclaimer: I do sell that brand). Also a little tip - in general, you will get a better piece of furniture for same money going to a furniture store instead of a Department store like Macy's.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.