Thread: H&M Sundance Sofa and Loveseat in Portfolio Claret - Ottoman and Wing Chairs dilemma

Threaded View

Damask Guest

Question H&M Sundance Sofa and Loveseat in Portfolio Claret - Ottoman and Wing Chairs dilemma

First of all, THANK YOU Duane and all the members for this wonderful forum!
    I've been reading it for few weeks now and PM'ing with Duane, and I'm so grateful for all the information, photos, and advice posted here!

It all started with looking for a leather sectional for the family room in our new home. Soon enough I fell in love with Hancock and Moore Sundance collection Its beautiful back is perfect for our needs; it will be definitely visible when entering the house.
    First I thought about sofa-sofa sectional, then sofa-loveseat sectional, but I just adore the sides of the sofas so finally decided on Sundance Sofa and Loveseat (4716 and 4716-2); would love to do two regular 4716 sofas but with 17' width room I'm afraid it will be too tight... won't it? I attach couple of floor plans I've been playing with; comments are more than welcome please!

As for the leather choice, oh my! I love them all! However, since I need to furnish the whole house, I need to be a bit budget conscious... taking into account the considerable savings with Town & Country program, we decided on Portfolio Claret (hubby agreed but he's still a bit concerned with "soooo much red" which isn't a calming and relaxing color we were originally planning on...) I just hope that since the sofa and loveseat won't be in direct sunlight and in general I don't use much bright light, this red leather won't seem that bright... or will it anyway? If you have a piece in Portfolio Claret please share your experience.

One problem that we may face is that 4716 sofa is in T&C program while 4716-2 loveseat is not... which means they may not match exactly! Has anyone ordered a piece from T&C and asked H&M to match the leather on another piece? I read that H&M would try to match the color to a particular sample color (since samples' colors vary often significantly). I wonder if they'd do it in our case as well...?

Then we looked at the ottomans. I love the 084 Robinson (the one with the drawers), hubby likes the 093 Chancellor. BUT neither one will work for us due to their sizes. Hubby definitely wants something bigger. At first he demanded that it's big enough for everyone sitting on the sofa and loveseat to put their feet up... he wanted it to be as long and wide as the seating area of each sofa... Well, it took some convincing not to end up with an ottoman of a size of almost a full size bed! I built it with boxes and covered with a blanket in front of our living room sofa, what a sight! You didn't even notice that the sofa was standing next to it! Still hubby murmured 'it looks fine...' Anyway, NOT happening!

The only large ottoman/bench from H&M is the 045 Plantation Bench (ca. 61" x 33"). Unless H&M website doesn't show all of them? Again, I built it with boxes and I think it may work. The thing is, we are not crazy about that ottoman Hubby doesn't like that it's so "airy", meaning too much open space under the leather section and kind of delicate legs; plus we don't like the wheels on the legs. I'm afraid they will ruin the carpet too; has anyone had any experience with wheels like these? Can the legs be changed for different ones (without the wheels)?

Or maybe I should start looking at ottomans from a different company; something like H&M 093 Chancellor ottoman but bigger; any recommendations?

If we decide to get 045 Plantation Bench, we would have it made tufted, but another dilemma is whether doing it in Portfolio Claret will indeed make the whole setup too RED...? It will be a lot of red surfaces... Any other leather suggestions that would compliment the Portfolio Claret would be greatly appreciated! (I saw pictures of this bench made with oriental carpet but it's too much commitment to the pattern... I don't know yet what the draperies will be like, I may want to have a pattern rug under the ottoman etc.)

I also considered covering this ottoman with Crocodile Claret (not tufted)... but it is unprotected leather with serviceability 3... and it will be used under the feet and occasionally trays with food will be placed on it too... Bad idea? I haven't seen a sample of it and also wonder if it's shiny or matt? Will it go with Portfolio or distract from it?

Finally, we'll also need two Wing Chairs, by the fireplace. I haven't decided yet which ones but I'd like them to be tall and have decorative legs (comfort is not a priority here at all ) There is no way we can do these in Claret; that would really be too much red for us! I wonder if maybe we should do them in fabric with some Portfolio Claret accents...? Or maybe mix two leathers (if for example we do ottoman in a different color, then chairs would be a mix of that and Claret)? These chairs will be in constant sunlight, I guess I just need to accept the fact that they will fade etc. over time...

Any input and advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thank you all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FP F1 FR 3 3 square.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	5169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FP F1 FR 3 2 square.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	5170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FP F1 FR 3 2 rectangular big.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	5171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0047 Sundance cr.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	5172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HM 045 Plantation Bench.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	5173