Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: H&M Sundance Sofa and Loveseat in Portfolio Claret - Ottoman and Wing Chairs dilemma

Damask Guest

Default Re: H&M Sundance Sofa and Loveseat in Portfolio Claret - Ottoman and Wing Chairs dile

And here are two links to threads with pics of 4716-2 Sundance loveseat:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-picture-of-it

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-in-Upton-Cafe

Default Re: H&M Sundance Sofa and Loveseat in Portfolio Claret - Ottoman and Wing Chairs dile

Definitely stay with the loveseat. You do not have room for a sofa on the one side! I still think a sectional would be perfect in that application and flow better in the room. Though I would probably not do a Sundance sectional because of the curve it would push your space too much.

I'd be more inclined to do a LaCross sectional with the 90 degree turn on it. What you will find laying them out when you get the 'real' pieces in there is the arms will nearly touch - and a corner table will look like an afterthought. A sectional will look and perform better for you - really and truly.

I know, I know...you didn't need to hear that!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Damask Guest

Thank you Duane! I want to hear everything LOL
    But this caused me a mini heart attack!

I think this is the first time I hear you NOT recommending Sundance sectional; not sure why you think that the curve would push the space too much... My Floor Plans represent the overall depth already (eg. 46" on 4716 Sundance Sofa). But maybe I'm missing sth. ... Oh my! I'll be thinking about this one tonight!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FR 3x2 sect Sundance.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	5515 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4718-LAQ-RAQ Sundance .jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	5519

Well, I had to look at the Lacross of course; very nice; I didn't remember there was another sofa with tufted back (and I love tufting on the arm rests and bottom front - though read that some other members opt not to have it done; I like it a lot). So then I just had to "see" how it would work out on the floor plan, and I don't think it will... It seems that the 90 degree corner would take up too much space, the passage would be just too tight... I would do sofa/loveseat, not loveseat/loveseat - I need these five seats. Lacross looks like it's quite a big piece (unless I got the measurements wrong?). It also seems as if the back pillows are shorter comparing to Sundance. Without seeing it IRL I would worry that they wouldn't be comfy enough for DH (6'2")...

Name:	FR 3x2 sect Lacross.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	5516 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5342-2LAF-2RAC Lacross Sectional.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	5517

If I start looking at other sofas or sectionals now, not only I won't make it by the 20th, but in the meantime I'll drive you crazy And let's not even think what it would do to my marriage! In the end, I will always regret not getting the Sundance. It was love at first sight <heart> It takes me time and lots of research to make a decision, but once I do it's for life, and I have a feeling I made that decision by now

Sundance Sectional vs. Sofas - I adore the sides of the sofas, and I think two separate pieces will help keeping the room a bit more "airy"... There is quite some open space in the hallway in front of the Family Room, and another big hallway in front of that one; I think sectional might be "too closed up" in my situation... But I don't know anymore! Gotta sleep on this one...

Sundance Sofa and Loveseat - I'm not a fan of end tables... I'm not going to get one if I can help it. I'm looking into a big, sturdy, nice tray for the ottoman so DH can put his snack etc. there. Shhhh.... he doesn't know it yet! I'm planning to space out the sofa and the loveseat as much as possible, so they don't touch. I may push the loveseat a bit closer towards the hallway too.

Name:	FR 3x2 sofa Sundance.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	5518

Damask Guest

Oh, originally I was trying to center the loveseat to the room / fireplace. But the only way to do it, would be not to have the other sofa by the stairs... Not happening. DH needs his huge TV and a sofa facing it... and he doesn't want to have the TV over the fireplace; he likes it at the eye level. I went again to the decorated model of the house we are building to check how they worked it out. And to my surprise they also have a loveseat where I plan mine, and it's not centered at all, and I haven't even noticed it during my previous visits. So all is good, at least in this matter...

Ahh....OK, with that overhead layout (that's much better) i can see that the Sundance Sectional WILL work well....I was just looking at the photos of the room and tape marks before. I think that is the way to go....

TV's over the fireplaces usually don't work out so well. They are too high up. often require drilling the masonry and the world of electronics changes so fast that once was a good idea in 2013 may be obsolete in 2023. (just look at all those armoire entertainment centers from the tube type TVs of the last 90's)
    Duane Collie

BevoGal Guest

Putting in my two cents, I like the way the Sundance sectional flows with the angles of that room. I wish I had a true diagram of my room with the Sundance in it (which program are you all using to draw on your images?), but there is a diagram of our room here: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...tional+project. It is a statement piece for sure. All visitors say, "what a gorgeous sofa!" (updated photos here: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ht=weston+sand). I am actually surprised that our traffic flow is very good around the piece.

Now, we don't eat in there, but if we did, we have a couple small mirrored tables from Ballard Designs that we can carry in for drinks. I was worried about giving up space for a side table, but in the end, the extra seating was more important to our family of five. The boys LOVE that wedge seat and argue over it. They also argue over the love seat end (better angle for viewing the tv that is in the armoire). This is a huge selling point though: I can lay on the sofa end with my 5 yo in the wedge and my 8 yo in the loveseat, and we are all comfy =) The 2 yo creates chaos so this only happens when he's napping, lol. My husband is 6 ft. and has not complained, but honestly, our old sofa was so past it's prime that anything is going to feel 10x better. He likes to lay across the sofa end, or sits in the wedge with his feet propped on the kids' little tree stump ottomans I mentioned in another post (Land of Nod special, lol).

I hope this helps - I understand the love of the Sundance! Either way you go (sofa and love seat vs. sectional, it will look beautiful in the room). Remember to factor in lamps and lighting if you are giving up a side table.

Damask Guest

Duane, that's exactly what my hubby said too (regarding TV above the fireplace), and I agree. Besides, I like my fireplace just the way it is and want sth magnificent above it (TV doesn't fall in this category in "my pretty world" lol)

Damask Guest

Hi BevoGal,

Thank you for your reply! Your home is beautiful! I wish I could do light color on the Sundance like you... but DH won't budge on this one. It was supposed to be in a medium-dark shade of brown at first, but finally agreed to Claret. Oh my! Three boys! You are my hero! I have one (so far <wink>), will be 4yo in couple of months, and he surely keeps me busy... but don't we love them more than life itself! My problem will be to teach him not to jump on the sofas, and climb over them, and jump over from one to the other - I started "the training" already but it's not going very well LOL Thanks for reminding me about the lamps; I wonder if they make battery operated ones yet... have to google.

I use www.floorplanner.com and like it a lot! You just download your floorplan into the background or you can quickly draw a new one if you don't have the original.

I'm going to check your thread about the chairs now...

Damask Guest

After much consideration (and another sleepless night) I made my decision

4716 Sundance Sofa and 4716-2 Loveseat in Portfolio Claret with Standard cores.

Thank you all for your help! Couldn't do it without you!

Duane,
    Please just make sure that they are currently 46" deep and not 50" - seems like there was some confusion about it last year.
    TY!

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by aluebcke View Post
    My only complaint is that H&M missed the custom size on the Sundance....it should have been an extra 12" wide and an extra 4" deep. They got the width right, but not the depth. I called Duane right away when I noticed it.....he checked the paperwork, and confirmed that it had been ordered correctly, and he called H&M right away. H&M has agreed to fix the problem, and I'm now deciding what I want done...
    I've spent the last three days chasing this problem down for Amanda, and finally after about 20 phone calls to H&M have figured out what happened with her order.

(1) Sundance sofa was made to a standard dimension, the depth of which is spec'd at 46" overall

(1) Sundance sofa was made extra long and spec'd at 50" in depth.

The sofas arrived, and the custom-framed one was 50" deep as written on the order, but the seat cushions swapped in from the standard sofa for a perfect fit! That meant if they made the custom sofa deeper, they put the extra depth BEHIND the back cushions into the meat of the frame and that didn't make sense. H&M went back to the plant foreman and they sweared they measured the custom sofa many times and it WAS 50" just like we spec'd on the order. This made things most curious. If they made it to 50" - 4" Deeper than standard - why did the cushion from the 'regular' Sundance fit?

At this point, H&M began pulling regular Sundances off the line and measuring them, so we could find out what was going on. Turns out that several months ago the Sundance sofa series was modified and the standard depth was changed to 50", while the catalog and web site say 46". They changed the frame for more comfort, but didn't notify the dealers or change the catalog/web site specs. So, since the custom said 50" deep - that's what they made. Now Amanda has her custom sofa 4" less deep than she wanted and H&M admits the mistake was theirs.

We're going to offer Amanda a large discount on the custom sofa if she wants to keep it, or else remake it for her, whatever she prefers. One thing about ordering from H&M and The Keeping Room is we do the work to find out what's going on and make things right when they were not done correctly.

I just brought one in the store, I shall measure it tomorrow....
    Duane Collie