Thread: It's not all roses.....

Default It's not all roses.....

....I think its human nature to sometimes read a contractual form and think that 'it doesn't apply to me', but - yes, it does! When you accept a sales contract and agreement, you really should read the terms of it and expect it to be binding. I have them on my order forms and require they be signed and agreed to as a condition of sale. If they were not enforced, then I would be inundated with returns and cancellations that would literally put me out of business. I think its important to point this out so buyers can be fully aware of what they are getting into when they order something. Let me give you a few examples that are fairly recent:

* A customer ordered a sofa in a GRADE 5 specialty leather that I told her I had concerns with doing an entire sofa in as that hide had a lot of nuances that are unacceptable to most consumers (only serious leather enthusiasts would appreciate it) and is best used as a accent leather rather than whole piece. I advised her not to order in that leather, but she chose to press ahead on it - and it was an expensive unit. Once the piece arrived she did not like it and thought it defective (which is exactly what I thought would happen), and wanted to return it and have it re-covered or replaced. That means it would have to be shipped back to the maker for inspection (most returns are NOT defective) and if it turns out there is no problem with the piece it is shipped back to the customer and the entire round trip shipping is at their expense. She because very upset at this but it says very clearly on the order form that there are no returns on special orders and we do not pay for return shipping for inspections. Just because it didn't turn out as expected is not a basis for return/remake.

* Another customer cancelled her order that she had a $ 650 deposit on because it was not going to be in her home by a specific date for a social engagement. Her notice of this new 'drop dead date' requirement that was not mentioned at time of order came after the sofa was in production and the leather had been cut - but there was no way to get it to her in time for that event. The order form clearly states that there are no cancellations once production has begun, yet she cancelled anyway demanding her deposit back less a 5% cancel fee. The thing is, when a sofa is already in production I have to take it from the maker. Then it either goes into my store inventory or to the original customer, there is no other option. As I don't plan for or need excess inventory I was unwilling to release her from her contractual obligation and she forfeited her deposit. She filed for a chargeback on the deposit but it was reversed under review as I had a signed contract to protect my store from cancellations so she is out the deposit. Of course she is not happy - and I hate to do that, but I can't have folks bailing on their orders because of one reason or another that has nothing to do with business.

* I now charge $ 30 for every order re-write once it has been submitted. I had to do that as I had customers earlier this year that abused the process, one changing an order sixteen times, another fourteen times. Every order requires a form be re-printed, re-faxed, re-acknowledged from the maker, and confirmation sent, then re-checked for accuracy and entered. It takes a lot of time to do and a lot of checking to make sure it was accepted. A customer this week was very surprised when she changed her order and was assessed the fee, even though it is clearly marked and she signed the order form.

I like to point things out like this to be on the up and up. I work hard for my customers and like to see everyone happy with their purchases, however at the end of the day I am running a business operation and there is a sales contract that will be the guiding document should an issue arise. A copy of that contract is located here in .pdf format:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ial-Order-Form

Be aware of what you order, and the terms of order, please! What is on the order form is how it will be.....
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-07-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

Default Re: It's not all roses.....

Well said. Always read before you sign!