Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with sofa and chair combos

Default Need help with sofa and chair combos

Sorry I haven't participated in the forum much lately, but I'm actually based overseas most of the time and unfortunately the forum can rarely be accessed from overseas for viewing (let alone contributing to posts), so I struggle and just have to make the most of it when I can access it, like today. Big thanks to Duane for all the assistance he has given me so far.

Tonight hubby decided we're going to have to aim to have our great room furniture sorted out by June next year, so we really need to start seriously thinking about which styles to go for and then pick out some leather samples, so we can receive them when we're in the States in September and make a choice.

Our home is a mountain lodge style home and we need two large sofas, which will be at right angles in our great room, one of which will face a huge fireplace. Both sofas will be floating in the room. We also need two chairs and matching ottomans to sit opposite one of the sofas, backing onto huge two storey windows, which overlook the mountains, hence it would be good for the two chairs to swivel to look at the view. However, I'm not particularly keen on the swivel look, so we may settle for stationary chairs, so long as they can be turned around easily.

The sofas we love the look of are:
    Teton sofa
    Carmen sofa
    LaCross sofa (without tufted arms, like lynhig's)

However, we like the Author chairs, but it's likely that the many tufts on the Tetons would mean it best to avoid Author chairs in the same room, or do you think pillows across the back of the Tetons, would break up the look enough to make Authors a viable option?

We love the Carmen sofa (exactly like the fully loaded one Duane showed pictures of on this forum), but Authors wouldn't really match.

So, my question is, what two chairs and ottomans would you put with Teton sofas and
    what chairs/ottomans would you put with Carmen sofas.
    What chairs with LaCross sofas?
    (bearing in mind my husband is over 6ft)

Our room is large, so we need to look at large sofas and large chairs.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Sorry if I don't reply quickly, it all depends if I can get on the forum or not.

Default Re: Need help with sofa and chair combos

I think the Carmen may be a little small for a Great Room - its not that large. The Teton is impressive (so is the Utah), and the LaCross is about average size.

Author chair and Teton would make a GREAT combo....no pillows on the Teton, doesn't work well with it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you for your input Duane, we're pretty much decided on a couple of Tetons so we have the 'wow' factor in our great room. However, it's the leather that's got us stumped. If we could get the same leather as shown on the H&M website (pic below), then I'd say that's it! However, the more we look on the forum, and if the H&M pic is in fact Weston Cane Burnished, then we're scratching our heads because examples of Weston Cane Burnished can vary so much. We like the idea of that sort of color and then having a couple of dark leather Author chairs, perhaps in Tuscany Harness with a bit of croc on the back and sides and on the ottomans. I've spent half a day today trying to come up with choices; who'd have thought it could be so difficult. I really like the idea of seating with a distressed/burnished look, but without the high sheen, ie a little less glossy, so there's a bit more softness and resistance when stroking the leather, rather than everything sliding off it. Maybe described as a little more buttery?

Here's a curve ball, any thoughts on Bozeman Harness or Bison Nubuck Chocolate? They look incredibly rustic and soft and buttery at the same time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&M Teton Sofa.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	5537  

I don't think that one in the H&M photos is Weston Cane Burnished - Take a look at the Cameo series of burnished leathers...they might be closer to that photo.

Bozeman is a buffalo hide, full of lots of wrinkles and texture. It has a spongy texture that's not for everyone. I personally don't like it very much.

Bison Nubuck is a Water Buffalo hide and made from the split. It's suede, you do NOT want that for sure on the whole sofa, that's for decorative areas.

All the burnished hides will have some slickness. Now, for softness and resistance, I'm going to take you to Capri Harness - might be just about perfect and would look tremendous on the Tetons.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you Duane, your input has been invaluable. We've come up with a few options and I've sent you an email. Maybe you'll send me back to the Capri stable, we'll see.

For now, we're excited about Mesquite Saddle...

Mesquite Saddle Lt Burnished
    http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...Oct2012058.jpg
    http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...Oct2012056.jpg

Mesquite Saddle Light Burnished - 5660 Monza Chair
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/atta...4&d=1303179682

Hi Mountainlion,

Saw this thread discussing your furniture dilemma so thought I would respond here to your inquiries about my LaCross sofa. I agree with Duane that the LaCross would be average compared to the Teton and Utah. It sits very well in our open floor plan family room. To give you an idea, our room measures about 20 ft x 18 ft and opens to kitchen and nook area, have high ceiling and tall windows flanking one entire side - other furniture in the room includes an upholstered chair 1/2 and chair and 2 side tables, also have a tall armoire and side table that sits against one wall behind sofa. Sounds like your great room is much bigger with the amount of furniture you will be needing. (BTW I love mountain homes).

Regarding style and comfort - it is awesome! While this is our first H & M piece the workmanship is flawless and it is soooo comfortable. We didn't get to "test" one before buying but made our decision based on others we tested and by thoroughly analyzing dimensions/styles. We were in search of styles with the greatest inside depth and length as well as tall enough so our lanky sons would have neck support. Also spent hours scouring this awesome site for input (Thanks Duane!) We went with standard cores - thought it was going to take some time for seats to relax but there was no issue at all. This may be due to the leather choice - Capri Butternut is so soft and supple that it just begs you to sit on it from day 1. Cannot go wrong with Capri if you are looking for soft leather. (We have a condo in the mountains with leather furniture from Macy's - it isn't even close! - of course, there's a big price difference and what we have works for the condo since it's only used a few weeks out of the year but would not want it for my every day furniture) Originally was not looking at tufted sofas at all but I must say it is "smashing" especially since it floats in the room. Looks so good when approaching from behind. The untufted arms was by request of my husband since he thought it might be uncomfortable when resting his head on it and napping - the upcharge cost was nominal and worth it IMHO to get it the way we wanted. Have received multiple compliments from guests and am so happy!!!

Hope you find this helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Good luck!

Thank you for your informative post lynhig, I really love the way you have customized the Lacrosse, it's wonderful. I will be vying for the same style in our basement when the time comes.

We've come to the conclusion that we're going to need a bigger and bolder set of sofas for our great room because it's a large room with a huge fireplace and the room height is two stories high with massive windows. The Teton sofas will look grand and the Author chairs will fit the 'larger size' requirement.

Although Mesquite Saddle is a little known leather on this forum (pic of it on a sofa attached), I think we're going to bite the bullet and go with it. On the Author chairs we were thinking of Mesquite Saddle and using Ostrich Chestnut on the backs and on the base of the ottomans. I really wanted a croc style, but I'm not sure if Santa Rosa Copper would work or not. Any thoughts? This project could turn out to be a huge leap of faith!

Duane, I know you'll remind me that ostrich and croc are Grade 5... but sometimes we have to go with what we really want, right? You know how you've previously mentioned that the extra cost over 20 years is minimal?

Name:	Mesquite Saddle.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	5563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swatch-OstrichChestnut.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	5564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swatch-MesquiteSaddle.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	5565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swatch-SantaRosaCopper.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	5566  

Okay, we've made an executive decision (because we're running out of time to order before the price hike). We've decided to try and figure out (through Duane) what leather the Teton sofa is in on the H&M website and go with that for our two Tetons, two Authors and two ottomans. It's always been a color we've liked from day one and keep coming back to, so we're convinced it's the right one for us. I guess the hurdle is whether H&M can provide the info on time so Duane can run up an order for us before the price hike. Fingers crossed!

Name:	H&M Teton Sofa.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	5567  

needstuff Guest

Just looked at that picture, and may I ask how the heck do you plan to run a vaccum cleaner under your Teton sofa??
    And also, do you plan to purchase bolsters to function as arm rests? Because the arms of that sofa certainly won't do the trick, unless you're pretty darned tall. And did you figure on the reduction in effective interior seating dimension caused by the necessary presence of those bolsters?
    Last edited by needstuff; 07-16-2013 at 01:05 PM.

needstuff Guest

Sorry if the tone of the above came out wrong. It's just that, as I've been shopping for sofas myself, I've been noticing a number of structural features that some sofas incorporate that seem to me less than completely optimal from a use standpoint. Low stretcher bases and unusably high arms are two of those features. I just wanted to point it out, in case you hadn't thought about it. They look great though, and the aesthetic sensibility may well trump the other points, to many people.