Thread: Taking a Day Off

Default Taking a Day Off

I will be closed on Tuesday, July 30th. Going to take the day off and go with my son to the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial (he's never been). He's studying to get a degree as a History Teacher so this will be good for him.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

TheGreatUnwashed Guest

Default Re: Taking a Day Off

Before my grandfather passed I got to visit him in Meadville PA and we then took a trip to Gettysburg. It was one of the most memorable trips of my life and I'll never forget it. Have fun and find some mustketballs.

Had a really excellent time at Gettysburg on Tuesday. I'd not been to the battlefield in 25 years, and my 19 year-old-son thought it fantastic. We arrived at 10:30 a.m. and I planned to leave at 2 p.m., but we stayed until 7:30 p.m. because he was so interested in the place and had to go to each site to envision it in his mind. He's studying to be a History major in College and he said to me on the way home "This was a great day, Dad....I never had much interest in Civil War History until today, but now I want to go see all the major battlefields in Virginia and study up on the cause of this conflict to see why they couldn't resolve it peacefully."

I get caught up in the world of furniture/work and don't take enough days off to spend with my son on excursions like this. I think we're going to do this more often, now. And if you've never been to Gettysburg Battlefield - GO! They do a really great job at the museum and its well worth a day trip.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

How wonderful! And you are blessed to live in an area so rich in history. My father was born in Virginia and went to seminary there - we were talking about a trip up there to explore DC again.

For us, in Texas, we have all sorts of battlegrounds from when Texas fought for independence from Mexico. We took my son to see the Battleship Texas, docked at the San Jacinto monument park, and he enjoyed that. Then, as you know, San Antonio (one of my hometowns, and yours too, correct?) houses the Alamo. There is also a great Native American history here - the county is building a major toll-road near us now, and just found a native American burial ground with artifacts that are 2000 years old! We would find a lot of arrowheads on our ranch in the Hill Country, but the BEST finds are the dinosaur footprints =) Genuine dinosaur tracks and fossilized sea shells abound in the areas that were once under water. I personally found a preserved Native footprint (human) and dinosaur tooth myself. Good times!

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...ns-3738699.php

http://www.theheritagemuseum.com/