Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99% decided on this BY Sofa

Default 99% decided on this BY Sofa

Bradington Young Austin Stationary Sofa 682-95

99% set on this. I got a good quote from a store. Just going to finalize fabric this week. I am trying to see if BY has crypton based fabric and if not, something durable. If anyone has any experience with BY fabrics, i'd appreciate the comments.

Duane, if you carry this model, I'd appriate a quote on it. My only question right now is fabric, I am just looking for something in neutral/darker colors and sturdy.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: 99% decided on this BY Sofa

BY doesn't have Crypton in its lineup that I know of. They are primarily a leather house, and their fabric selection are a bit miserable and un-exciting. For a quote, I would need a fabric grade. Thanks!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    BY doesn't have Crypton in its lineup that I know of. They are primarily a leather house, and their fabric selection are a bit miserable and un-exciting. For a quote, I would need a fabric grade. Thanks!
    I see.

I suspect i'd like grade 1 since I heard grade 1 is not very good... The problem is, I can't find anything fabric on NY site. Do you have a recommendation of something sturdy, darker colors (brownish maybe).

I also heard that I could purchase my own crypton fabric and have them use it... Is there a surcharge ir even recommended? Lastly, how much hassle is it?

I'll send you a pm in a minute

I called BY today and they indeed do not have anything in crypton. They are sending me some polyester fabrics to try. I wonder how much more it'll be to send them my own crypton fabric and have them use it... Never done something like that

You can always use your own material, its called COM. (Customers Own Material). But it usually costs you more..for example on a BY 682-95:

GR 1 Fabric or COM is $ 1,608.

For the COM you will need 19.5 yards and Crypton Fabric is about $ 30 a yard to you or $ 585.00 and add in another $ 25 shipping cost to the BY plant for a total of $ 2,218 for the sofa. Now you can buy that same sofa in leather for $ 2,435 and it will outlast that Crypton fabric one by a ratio of 4 to 1 in years. While Crypton is a super-fine microfiber, its still a 100 % man-made polyester and while its claim to fame is every stain wipes off, its not going to last longer in rub value or strength than any other Polyester fabric. You don't want to buy it for longevity - you buy it for ease of cleaning spills. To spend another $ 200 and go to leather is a no-brainer for long term lifespan, the leather sofa can go 35 years or longer on that cover.

If staying in BY fabrics, one can't say a GR 1 is good or not good, because that's a price grade, not a quality grade. Its based on what they, the maker, have to pay for the material. My experience in this industry for over 25 years tells me that to get good fabric covers, you want blends of natural materials, not 100 % man-made (they tend to pill). And to get decent fabric, its north of $ 50 a yard.
    Duane Collie

You can always use your own material, its called COM. (Customers Own Material). But it usually costs you more..for example on a BY 682-95:

GR 1 Fabric or COM is $ 1,608.

For the COM you will need 19.5 yards and Crypton Fabric is about $ 30 a yard to you or $ 585.00 and add in another $ 25 shipping cost to the BY plant for a total of $ 2,218 for the sofa. Now you can buy that same sofa in leather for $ 2,435 and it will outlast that Crypton fabric one by a ratio of 4 to 1 in years. While Crypton is a super-fine microfiber, its still a 100 % man-made polyester and while its claim to fame is every stain wipes off, its not going to last longer in rub value or strength than any other Polyester fabric. You don't want to buy it for longevity - you buy it for ease of cleaning spills. To spend another $ 200 and go to leather is a no-brainer for long term lifespan, the leather sofa can go 35 years or longer on that cover.

If staying in BY fabrics, one can't say a GR 1 is good or not good, because that's a price grade, not a quality grade. Its based on what they, the maker, have to pay for the material. My experience in this industry for over 25 years tells me that to get good fabric covers, you want blends of natural materials, not 100 % man-made (they tend to pill). And to get decent fabric, its north of $ 50 a yard.
    thanks for the advice, it's invaluable.

I was going into leather, but I can't because where it goes by the window, right below it, heater runs all across the wall. With about 4" of clearance, that leather will shrink and dry up in a second.

As for crypton, I wasn't particularly looking for kevlar type fabric nor care about spill clean up. I just want something sturdy in that way that 1 part of the couch won't wear out while other not. The couch I got here for 10+ years, no clue what fabric it has but I don't ever remember having spills.

Leather won't shrivel and dry out if its near a heat vent, not sure where you got that information but its not accurate. I have sold thousands of leather pieces over 28 years and that has never occurred.

If you want a sturdy fabric, get a Chenille. They wear like iron.....Cryton's claim to fame is only that its non-stainable, which should not be confused with longevity. Long term durability is determined by the rub value of a fabric, how many cycles it can endure in a controlled rub test before it shows noticeable wear. 15,000 rubs is like to moderate. 30,000 rubs is medium duty, 50,000 rubs and more is heavy duty. Rub values alone are not good, however - because they can make a fabric that has 100,000 duty cycle but it would be so coarse and scratchy you'd not want it. You balance the hand of the fabric with the duty cycle and the way it drapes when you select a piece. Softness counts as much as durability.
    Duane Collie

very interesting. the couch would not be near a heat vent but I have a heater going right against the wall for 15ft of that wall, so it would be right near leather for the whole length. Everywhere i read/saw, they say that it needs to be at least 1ft from any heat source.

Are there any chenille samples available from BY in cat 1 and 2 in that color scheme?

Thanks for the info on the rub values.

Leather won't shrivel and dry out if its near a heat vent, not sure where you got that information but its not accurate. I have sold thousands of leather pieces over 28 years and that has never occurred.

If you want a sturdy fabric, get a Chenille. They wear like iron.....Cryton's claim to fame is only that its non-stainable, which should not be confused with longevity. Long term durability is determined by the rub value of a fabric, how many cycles it can endure in a controlled rub test before it shows noticeable wear. 15,000 rubs is like to moderate. 30,000 rubs is medium duty, 50,000 rubs and more is heavy duty. Rub values alone are not good, however - because they can make a fabric that has 100,000 duty cycle but it would be so coarse and scratchy you'd not want it. You balance the hand of the fabric with the duty cycle and the way it drapes when you select a piece. Softness counts as much as durability.

Sorry, Chenille's will never be in the entry level price points, they are almost always upper grade fabrics because they are thicker and more dense than most other materials. To my recollection, there are none in the B-Y line....I was speaking in generalities of desired fabrics.
    Duane Collie

Something that confuses me is why does the fabric cost $50-100/yd when I would purchase from B-Y or Jessica Charles? When I look at fabricguru.com, chenille tapestry fabrics are never more than $20/yd. Can I not buy first run quality from any retailer (I'm trying to reupholster a victorian rocking chair)?