Thread: 12 yr old Hancock and Moore - Good deal or not

purplekrayon Guest

Default 12 yr old Hancock and Moore - Good deal or not

I have found a 12 yr old Hancock and Moore leather section that someone is selling for $1000 (originally over $10,000). There is considerable fading in some places. It is a unprotected class 5 leather (top of the line). According to the original owner it was condition about every 6 months. Is this a good deal? What do I need to look for or be worried about before I purchase? I've read that a good leather recoloring kit could help bring back the color. Also that H&M will repair leather for the cost of the material and shipping. Would I be better off buying a new, lower quality sectional or buying this 12 yr old Hancock and Moore?

Do you have any photos you can send of it? What is the configuration of the piece? (Loveseat section?, Quarter Round, Sofa section? etc?)

That's certainly a good price depending on overall condition. it sounds like it was a full aniline hide due to the sun fading. Doubtful its a class 5 however, that's pretty much reserved for exotics, but who knows?

You can order a dye kit to recolor the leather with decent success. Under one of the middle seat cushions, if you lift the cushion up, you will see a leather 'flag' that is loose. Cut off at least half of this flag and mail it to these folks who will custom-make a dye kit for you:

http://www.uniters.com/file.php?file=40

A dye kit is good for light to moderate fading, but will not suffice for severe fading. The kit is about $ 100 and you should be able to do the entire sectional with it, putting on 4 to 5 coats and using a regular hair dryer in between. It will give you a 80 to 90 percent color restoration if not faded too badly.

Check for rips or tears in the leather. See if the cushions are 'firm'. H&M will supply FREE replacement internal cushions but only to the original owner if they are 'sacked' or worn out. These cushions cost about $ 120 per seat, so if they are used up, have the current owner get replacement pieces before you buy the unit.

Frames and springs almost never go bad in an H&M. Usually the two things that do occur are sun fade and/or cushion wear out. Both covered above.

H&M will not repair this piece as a practical concern as its sun-fade, not a rip / tear or breakage. It would be far too expensive for you to return it to them to have the cover stripped and new leather applied. At that point it would be less expensive to buy a new unit.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Mrsallen Guest

Default Re: 12 yr old Hancock and Moore Good deal or not

Duane,
    Your reply is very helpful. These are great tips when buying used. Thanks!