Thread: Please help me determine what will fit!

pirard Guest

Default Please help me determine what will fit!

Hi, I have an old (and wonderful) DC row house. Recently we had a pipe burst which flooded our living room and destroyed all the furniture (which was old anyway). I am going to do a complete new living room. The space is basically a 17 x 16 box. I have settled on a layout, but now comes the difficult part...what size sofa will fit through my door way? The door is arched, and 84" at the top point. It is 35" wide. the door opens into a vestibule space that is 4'5" deep x3'4" wide (opening to the living room). The ceiling height in the vestibule is 8'6", but there is also an arch with a height of 8' between the vestibule and living room. It is no doubt a tight squeeze for anything larger than a love seat. I have had the most difficult time finding anyone who can answer. Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Please help me determine what will fit!

Can you post some good, clear photos of the egress point? 35" wide is a nice size, but your limiting factor is your 63" Depth through the door coupled with arched ceilings that may be 8' 6" in the center, but its what they are at the lower 35" across width that is the critical measurement as a sofa is not a giant pencil !

Basically the piece has to be lifted high if longer than 60" and angled to the ceiling, the rotated to go into the room. That's a complex delivery lift and I'm not sure anyone can tell you based on measurements of the area, a visual image of this area from several angles is much more helpful. You very well may have to do a sectional if you want seating of any size....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

pirard Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	5734 Here's a pic of the doorway/vestibule. And thank you for the very quick response!

In rethinking this...two observations...there is a closet across from the door...if we need to angle in the sofa (say we get an 85"), we can open the closet door to capture extra width to clear the door arch top. Also, I have an old, beat up (three teenagers and a dog) sofa in my basement family room which measures in at 83" x 25" x 37". That came in the doorway (albeit 20+ years ago). I think a "full sized" sofa will work. Love the look of the 'Taraval' at Crate and Barrel, not sure of their quality though. I've also heard about the "after market" sale in high point, but have no experience really buying furniture that way.
    Last edited by pirard; 09-13-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Wow, that is tight. You are going to be limited by what will to through the door in a vertical orientation. Probably that one sofa you mentioned will be the limit of a solid frame piece. Now there are options for knock-down pieces such as those from Simplicity Sofas (Jeff, the owner, participates here on the forum) or do pieces that are otherwise modular. For example we once too a Elle Sofa from Hancock and Moore and made it as a 2-piece with a removable base to get into a tight egress.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1821

Crater and Barrel is not know for quality furniture, sorry. As for "After Market" sales from the High Point Market, various large stores will purchase the showroom stock from manufacturers in large lots, then you would have to go to their stores to see the product.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.