Hi- new to "fine furniture" and I've been shopping at a local retailer which carries H&M, Drexel Heritage (DH), Henredon, etc. I've more or less settled on the McDermott medium profile 65.5 (Length) love seat from DH. The chair is also a DH ("Darien" swivel). An interior designer spent much time with me explaining the construction of the love seat frame and springs. Also learned about the cushion seat cores, of which I like spring down. We also picked out fabric for the love seat, chair and pillows.

I have the following questions & concerns:

1) Price

Pricing has been challenging for me. I usually like to see an MSRP or "sticker", if you will. I'm looking at $3,500 delivered for these two pieces, roughly a grand for the chair and $2,500 for the love seat. How can I get more comfortable that the price is fair?

2) Frame

Seems that H&M uses 1-1/2" thick wood and triple dowels whereas Drexel uses 1-3/8" double dowel. Does this sound right? What type of wood should I expect or is that even known? Also, what about claims as to the kiln drying process? Other factors such as the joints (mortise & tenon expected?), etc? Center support system? Are these the things that separate the fine stuff from Value City (in regards to the frame)?

3) Concerns with spring down seat core?

4) Fabric

What questions should I ask about the fabric we've selected? Does DH have a good reputation?

Many, many thanks. I will be reading other posts to get up to speed, but it would be nice to have some specifics in this thread. Appreciated!