Thread: H&M Old Austin Style Chair/Sofa Value?

pvcpvc Guest

Default H&M Old Austin Style Chair/Sofa Value?

We bought a new H&M Austin sofa and tilt back chair earlier this year (thanks, Duane!) and LOVE them both. We still have more rooms to furnish though. I saw what appears to be an older style H&M Austin sofa and chair on Craigslist today and they are asking $400 for sofa, $300 for chair. Do you think $500 would be a fair offer for the pair?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HMChair10.4.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	5760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HMSofa10.4.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	5761  

needstuff Guest

Default Re: H&M Old Austin Style Chair/Sofa Value?

It's funny , I've seen "conventional wisdom" expressed here repeatedly suggesting prices such as above for used H&M pieces. But I was scouting Craigslist and ebay ads for a long time, and didn't often find them listed for this little. Most of the time the sellers were asking well over $1k for couches. Look yourself.

This included items with visibly badly crumpled back cushions, which I observed more often than not on the pieces for sale.
    (Such pictures made me wonder about the cosmetic longevity of leather sofa back cushions in general, actually) At least in this case the back is tufted.

One can always ship in a low offer. Sellers will likely be reluctant to accept offers drastically under their expectations. But if you are the only game in town..

Above was a general thought, not to your situation specifically.
    In your situation, to my mind, based on what I've seen out there, the seller's original asking prices seem to me to be more than fair, provided the items sit well. (at least for the sofa, I didn't follow chairs). But you can always offer a couple hundred bucks less, nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by needstuff; 10-04-2013 at 04:56 PM.