Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My family room needs a comfy soft sofa, and I need some suggestions

Jamie Guest

Default My family room needs a comfy soft sofa, and I need some suggestions

So heres my family room., The sofa in the room is a Whittemore-Sherrill which was delivered damaged, ( puncture holes along the welting) and Im getting a refund, Its 90 X40 and the most uncomfortable sofa ever, maybe because it has a tight back, I just dont know, it doesnt let you slouch or relax on it. You have to sit upright. Im looking for a comfy replacement, 90-96 inches long and and good inside depth. I really can use some suggestions.. attached is a picture of my room,, the room looks long and narrow , but its not, probably the way I took the pic. its about 16 x20

thanks Duane for the instructions on making the pictures smaller

Default Re: My family room needs a comfy soft sofa, and I need some suggestions

I'm surprised that Whittemore-Sherrill is not comfortable, is it the back angle? Too steep? It looks like a nice sofa from the photos. Closest in style to that one I can think of is the Hancock & Moore Journal Sofa # 1828, though its only 85" in length. I have a lot of customers buy that piece and no complaints on it. Also take a look at the # 4192 Settlement Sofa. Its actually a little longer than your spec by a few inches, but its the champ on seat depth and lounging, its a BIG sofa.

Check out some of the new introduction sofas from H&M here, many might work. These will not be on the H&M website or shown anywhere else but in this link as of the date of this post. I photoed the sofa, then the tag, so you can get model size and info right off the tag.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...mp-MOORE/page2
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jamie Guest

I wish the journal was alittle bigger, and the settlement is way too big. How is the comfort level on the large city sofa or the B-Y 512-95?

Did you check out some of new sofas at Market in the link provided? There are at least (4) new pieces that should fit right in with your specs and room decor.

I really prefer not to address the question of comfort, because one person's comfort is another's bed of nails! Having said that there are only a very few pieces from any maker that I truly find uncomfortable.
    Duane Collie

Mac33 Guest

Still in the market for furniture. Considering a trip to NC so that I can see a variety of H&M and BY sofas and chairs. Don't want to purchase without sitting on the furniture first. Unfortunately there is not a local dealer with a good selection. I initially was considering the Sundance line but the sofa is not comfortable for me. Any suggestions what to focus on and where to look in NC? Looking for 2 recliners and a sofa. My husband and are tall.

North Carolina no longer has the big outlet furniture stores, they have all vanished other than Furnitureland South in High Point. Not knowing where you live so I can't advise where else you can go but I certainly wouldn't drive more than a few hours myself. The mega-discounts in NC are gone as well. Most the stores there sell at or about the same price as other dealers.
    Duane Collie

Mac33 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    North Carolina no longer has the big outlet furniture stores, they have all vanished other than Furnitureland South in High Point. Not knowing where you live so I can't advise where else you can go but I certainly wouldn't drive more than a few hours myself. The mega-discounts in NC are gone as well. Most the stores there sell at or about the same price as other dealers.
    Thanks. I am in Located in Texas and have not been able to find a H &M dealer with a good selection. Is the Christopher line still available. I find the bustle back chairs and sofas more comfortable.

Louis Shanks is the big H&M dealer in Texas, they usually show several frames. I believe that series was retired.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Louis Shanks is the big H&M dealer in Texas, they usually show several frames. I believe that series was retired.
    Duane is right: Louis Shanks is THE big H&M dealer here in Texas. However, they're known for big, oversized, & really expensive furniture. IMO, most of what they carry is pretty flashy & tacky(big hat/big cattle look.) A lot of ppl "keeping up with the Jones's" in there ooh'ing & ahh'ing. They know that, stock those wow pieces & price them accordingly. Their target customer is the cpl REALLY wanting to go home & say to their friends & neighbors "ooh, isn't it beautiful?....yea, we got it at Shanks." You'd have to actually go in there to see what I'm talking about. Great ppl watching in there! Lol

They're great at what they do & they fill a niche(my gma's house, here in The Woodlands, is almost completely outfitted in Shanks' stuff.) Just be aware they're very much a "to see & be seen" at store & that's factored into their prices.

Andrea
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-03-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Shanks is a major dealer for many brands, including Hancock and Moore. While I appreciate the support, calling out pricing on one dealer over another is areas that are quite sensitive and can lead to issues. This has happened in the past and can lead to enforcement of drop-shipping policies that are already in place. For that reason I am going to edit the post (above) and take out a portion of the comments. Best to let sleeping dogs lie....
    Duane Collie