Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide on chair and leather

Drewestabr Guest

Default Trying to decide on chair and leather

Duane, we spoke a few weeks ago. I'm on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and trying to decide on a H&M leather chair to replace one that's been in my family for about 30 years. I have great memories as a toddler sitting with my father in this chair so I'm struggling to part with it, but I think it's time. That said, it's kind of a big deal to me so I'm probably overthinking this decision.

I believe I've narrowed it down to three, but the local retailer doesn't have much in stock. Can I get your insight on which might look the best in my living room? I would also like to get any isight you have on leather selection.

I've narrowed it down to the Martini, Princeton or Bohemian. I want a footstool/ottoman as well. I'm currently leaning towards the Kipling Sand leather, but I'm curious if you have any other suggestions that are similar (I wish they still had plaza honey) and also if there are any special treatments you recommend.

I wish we could work with you to purchase, but thank you in advance for any insight you can provide. Also, let me know if it would help to see larger images of our living room.

Thanks,
    Drew

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR landscape.JPG 
Views:	704 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	5772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR portrait.JPG 
Views:	736 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	5773

Default Re: Trying to decide on chair and leather

Hi Drew,

I don't think I'd do Kipling Sand, that's too muddy- brown for your room. I don't mind the color you have on that chair, which looks to be a charcoal grey or hued blue. I'd also consider a rich burgundy. The Princeton chair is going to be too small in scale. The Bohemian or Martini should be right on the money. Envy Stone (GR 5), if you want something really nice that is even better the the old GR 5 Plaza leathers, or perhaps a nice pull up like Tiburon Stone (GR3).

You can always buy from my store, its just I can't sell to you at less than 35% off MSRP unless you are present in my store to do the deal. Usually the savings will easily pay for the airline ticket round trip if you want to come to Washington DC (after everything opens up again).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Drewestabr Guest

Is there any chance you have either chair in the store? I'd really like to sit in them, but that may not be feasible.

Also, have you seen the Bohemian in a darker color? I'm curious how the gimp will look on a dark brown/red or dark grey?

I have a Princeton Chair in the store and a Bohemian sofa, if that helps.

I have not seen the Bohemian in a darker color, that's a new sofa model and just getting into distribution now - my first one arrived about two weeks ago.
    Duane Collie

Drewestabr Guest

I think we've settled on the Bohemian chair and ottoman in either Tiburon Java with the belt in Tiburon Chestnut or Tiburon Chestnut as the chair and belt. The chestnut may be too dark. Have you seen that on a chair or sofa? I'm curious which of those two options you believe will look better on this chair. I think we're also going to opt for the ultra down for the back and seat.

How far from Reagan are you? That may be tough to pull off, but I'm also looking at a pair of Jameswood chairs for my office to go along with the chair for my living room so perhaps we can justify it. I believe I'm going to opt for Cameo Brown Burnished as the leather and Belgian Chocolate as the wood.

Keep in mind the 'belt' is not a standard item and has an additional cost, and the belt leathers are not part of the leather samples, but actual Italian belt leather that H&M does not sample to the dealers. Its one of those things they have where stock changes depending on what they can get and H&M usually sends a small cutting of the belt upon request once an order is placed. Generally, the darker you go in a pull-up leather like Tiburon, the less you see the nice pull-up effects the hide has. I prefer my pull-up leathers to be towards the lighter tones given a choice.

My store is about 12 miles from Reagan National Airport, very close to George Washington's Historic Mt Vernon Home.
    Duane Collie

Drewestabr Guest

Okay, that's good to know about the belt. That part is the biggest mystery for me and the part I'm most anxious about screwing up. I know this will ultimately come down to personal taste, but do you have any recommendations on how to treat the belt if we go with Java or if we go with Chestnut? I'm not sure about color or texture necessarily. Do you have any other recommendations on what would make this chair look best? Thank you for all of your insight. It's a tremendous help.

I often tell them to go through the 'belt' inventory and pick out something that has a nice contrast value to the main hide selected to the chair. They're pretty good at doing that. The channel quilting is an option in the seat, I really like it and the contrast welt trim on my floor model sofa....
    Duane Collie

Drewestabr Guest

So it took a little time, but our chair came in today. The pictures are attached for anyone who might be interested in the Bohemian chair. Duane, thanks again for all of the help. We're really happy to get the quality from H&M and a design that's a little different. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right Side.jpg 
Views:	865 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	6093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left Side.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	6094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.jpg 
Views:	708 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	6095

Gorgeous chair and ottoman ...the leather looks wonderful!