I am in the process of purchasing a leather couch, chair, & ottoman. I am shopping at a locally owned furniture store that has a good reputation and carries mid-level quality brands.

My budget is around $2k for the package which precludes names like H&M. I am looking at a set made by LeatherTrend which is a division of Robinson & Robinson. The original price for the set was $4200. The last sale price was about $3200. They want $1988 for the floor models as they are closing this model out b/c "it didn't sell well in Florida". I have seen the same set online for $4500. I'm fairly satisfied with the quality, look, and feel of the set. Initial indications from the salesperson is that this is cost and not really negotiable. If possible, I'd like to knock a few hundred off to put towards an entertainment center. I'm not really worried that the stuff is going to sell out from under me as this area is severely depressed with the highest foreclosure rate in the country and 13% unemployment.

Given the above, what type of discount should I expect on the floor model? Is it reasonable to offer below what they claim to be their cost?

Also, I was looking in their "scratch & dent" room and found an Armoire by Hooker that I liked. It was originally priced at $1300 but has a few nicks and scratches and busted pull handles. It's now priced at $650 and has been there a while. How would you price the item? I know I can replace the handles and I can probably hide or live with the scratches.

What do you guys do with stuff that won't move?