Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a reasonable discount for a closeout floor model?

puhmuckel Guest

I think most consumers just want to get a fair deal. If I have to haggle, I won't buy because that is not in our nature and just feels tacky. I did see a H&M chair for $6000 when I looked at some sofa's in SF.

I am also looking for a tall bookcase and Curio, but I am hesitant to buy because I have become distrustful of the furniture industry as a whole. Why spend any money when I know that I am overpaying for cheap poorly made goods. I am considering Auctions as an alternative to the stores.

artielange Guest

It is true that the consumer has to do their homework and research first. Then when they find a dealer who earns their confidence and whom they can trust, they can rely on that dealer for future purchases.

That's the way to do it....customer loyalty always pays off in the long run, you'll be surprised at how many extras can come your way as a customer when you stay with a dealer you like and gets to know you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

soster Guest

Just got the email from "Bob" asking if I still had the butcher block...

Quote Originally Posted by soster View Post
    .....If it makes sense, then buy it. I have a guy waiting to hear from me on a butcher block we had in stock. We'll call him "Bob." We're closing our store, and this is an obscure item, so we worked out a price. But Bob decided he was going to wait and play chicken with me and see what kind of price it would go down to in a couple of weeks or so.

Well, back on the first day of our closing sale someone I'd known for years came in and asked about this block. Because he's an old friend I told him I'd call in a few weeks if it was still around and give him a better price. When Bob decided not to buy I called my friend and offered the same price, and he was happy to buy it because he was paying a fraction of what this normally costs.

I'm expecting to get a call or email from Bob very soon asking about the block, and if so I am looking forward to telling him it was sold minutes after our last conversation because I don't understand it when people decide that good enough just isn't good enough.

Don't assume the things you want will stay there forever either. As bad as things are in Florida you still have THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people there whose homes are paid for and are financially secure. You only need ONE of these people to buy the item you want and then you're back to square one.

I'm not surprised! I had a humorous scenario play out today in the store as well. A customer was looking at a particular table I had in-stock, and he was determined not to pay the tagged price for it, though his wife was willing to. He kept telling me "In this economy - you can't ask regular price, so you sharpen up your pencil and maybe I'll buy it." I said "The price is marked, that's what it will stay at as long as its doesn't get damaged." He said "No - things are not flying out the door, you can do better." I had the phone ringing, and excused myself to take the call from a customer that had been in the store earlier in the day.

My phone customer says: 'Duane, that table I was looking at earlier? I want it, put a SOLD tag on it and here's my credit card number." Of course, it was the same table this gentleman was trying to barter on. He and his wife had wandered upstairs, so I made the SOLD tag and placed it on the table like I normally do. They come down a few minutes later and he says to me "Where did that sold tag come from?" I told him "Phone order a few minutes ago, but I'll be glad to order one for you if you like." His wife smacked him on the arm with her catalog she was holding and said 'See what happens when you're stubborn!"

Steve, how is your store closing sale going? Have you made other plans after you shut the doors?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ckdc Guest

Any other dealer and I might doubt the validity of that sold tag...but in Duane's store it must have happened just like the story reads.....insert out of luck customer smilie here

soster Guest

The sale is going along OK. I'm expecting a couple more "I can believe you sold that" conversations. One from a Friday customer and one from a Sunday customer. Hopefully they'll like my alternative suggestions. My future plans? Looking for job.