Thread: HELP - No Idea what to buy as far as a new leather sofa...

mischka222 Guest

Default HELP - No Idea what to buy as far as a new leather sofa...

So, I have been looking through post here for a couple of days and have found a lot of my questions answered about what to look for in leather but also even more confused on other points. Here's the deal. I have 2 large in the house, master of the couch and beds Weimaraners. I LOVE my dogs, but I have given up on having anything REALLY nice....or so I thought. This will be our fifth set of furniture in the last 8 years. So my husband wants to go for leather this time. I have found the most compliments on H&M furniture. I have also learned that steerhide is better than cowhide. I know that the best hides come from Europe. That's about where my education has ended. I am game for spending more than we usually do on a nice sofa and chair or sectional IF I can feel secure that I can get more than 4-5 years from the piece of furniture. So........anybody want to recommend a good quality, durable leather, durable frame sofa that is awesome for stretching out and watching movies AND harboring 2 sleeping giants? Side note...we do plan on keeping the furniture covered when we are not at home to avoid any possible damage and the dogs are a lot more mature and I have not had an issue with anyone digging the stuffing out of the sofa on over 4 years! So, I think I am safe....

THANKS in advance!

Michelle

Default Re: HELP - No Idea what to buy as far as a new leather sofa...

If you have gone through 5 sets of furniture in 8 years, either you are buying VERY poor quality or your lifestyle is that of being in a hurricane!

I do not have failures on Hancock & Moore. None. Once in awhile a recliner mechanism or a gas strut from a tilt back chair needs to be replaced, but that's been it, and I've put thousands of pieces of that brand out the door in the past ten years. If you can tolerate the price point of H&M, you should have it at least 30 years use given reasonable maintenance at home on the leather and don't let the sun bleach out the color. What leather you put on the piece is less critical than wiping it down and keeping it clean, actually. Don't use suedes, hair-on-hide or the naked super-softs and you would be in good stead. Nice GR 2 leathers won't break the bank so take a look at Kipling, Ryan, and Atticus.

If you want a large, deep sofa, the H&M Settlement will do the job - take note of the interior depth.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mischka222 Guest

Default Re: HELP - No Idea what to buy as far as a new leather sofa...

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    If you have gone through 5 sets of furniture in 8 years, either you are buying VERY poor quality or your lifestyle is that of being in a hurricane!

I do not have failures on Hancock & Moore. None. Once in awhile a recliner mechanism or a gas strut from a tilt back chair needs to be replaced, but that's been it, and I've put thousands of pieces of that brand out the door in the past ten years. If you can tolerate the price point of H&M, you should have it at least 30 years use given reasonable maintenance at home on the leather and don't let the sun bleach out the color. What leather you put on the piece is less critical than wiping it down and keeping it clean, actually. Don't use suedes, hair-on-hide or the naked super-softs and you would be in good stead. Nice GR 2 leathers won't break the bank so take a look at Kipling, Ryan, and Atticus.

If you want a large, deep sofa, the H&M Settlement will do the job - take note of the interior depth.
    Well, 2 100 plus pound inside dogs and teenage boys I think may be equivalant to a hurricane! And yes, the furniture has not been the best of quality, it served the purpose for whatever time it was in the house. With young weim puppies, we did not want to spend a lot, knowing what they could do and did to the furniture (there was on time that I came home to them chewing on the FRAME, they had litterally gotten it down to the frame...) BUT, they are older and more mature and we have not had an incident in almost 3 years, so, I think it is time to replace what we have. Of course price matters, but, I don't mind spending more if I know that it will last. It will not be in direct sunlight so I have that one covered. My job every day when I get home is to dust (dog hair) so wiping it down every day is doable. I will get on the H & M website and look at the leathers you have suggested along with the sofa!

Your advice and help is very much appreciated....if you have more, please feel free to share!

Michelle