Thread: THickness of leather.

McCall Guest

Unhappy THickness of leather.

Duane,

I may have asked a similiar question before but how does the thickness of say an anniline hide on a B&Y or a H&M piece compare to the thickness of the samples we normally look at in the store?

Mine came a great deal thinner, B&Y than the sample I had from the store and I wondered if that was usual. It is not a married cover by the way in case that makes any difference at least I was told it was not.

It is Style 4711 Monaco High Leg Lounger in 9497-87A

I just cleaned it and it made me think of this again.

All leather is split, into uppers and lowers. The Lowers go into non-furniture applications such as belts, harnesses, industrial products, shoes, etc. The uppers become gloves, designer purses, jackets, and furniture leather, etc. Its not an exact process, and I think you'll see variances in the splits from one batch to another from the same tannery, and I'm sure some cows have thicker skin than others, too!

Its usually not much an issue, and its pretty rare to seen any leather worn through the thickness on furniture. Thinner hides do tailor crisper and tighter than the thicker ones, however.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.