Thread: Looking for opinions on H&M blue leathers

foxwoodfarm Guest

Default Looking for opinions on H&M blue leathers

I know that Blue leathers are not "in" right now. But if I buy an H&M sofa, I will have it for at least 30 years and who knows how many trends will come and go? I don't follow trends. And I like blue leather.

While I am trying to decide on which frame to buy (Sundance vs Austin vs Journey), I am also trying to decide on leather. The local H&M dealer does not have a single piece of anything in blue leather, although I have looked at all the H&M swatches. (This dealer doesn't have a Sundance or a Journey either, in any color, so I am trying to make decisions in a void. Which is why I will likely fly to DC to visit The Keeping Room in person. And soon.)

Currently leaning toward Class 3 leathers: Weston Navy, Equestrian Navy or Tiburon Navy. Love the Class 4 Capri and Quintessence, but am trying to be somewhat realistic in price. Especially since I plan to buy a sofa and a chair/ottoman.

Anybody have opinions or photos or pros/cons on blue leather choices?

Also, since Sundance is tufted and Austin is not, do I need to factor that into the leather decision?

Thanks
    Nancy

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Default Re: Looking for opinions on H&M blue leathers

Go to: Leather holstery> resource photos > hancock and moore photos only

Blues 'cool' a room and can be more difficult to decorate with because the color pallet with them is typically gray, black, burgundy. They're not really 'out of style' but 85% of all leather sales are in a brown tone, so that obviously is why you don't see many floor models in blue. If I put a blue sofa in my store, it will sit there 3x longer than a brown one, and twice as long as a burgundy unit.

Weston is a great hide, slightly waxy, slight pull-up effect. Varies in dye lots considerably, nice hand.
    Equestrian is pebbly, and like a saddle leather a bit 'squeaky' or noisy. Tough, thicker cut than others, it can take a lot of heavy use.
    Tiburon is an excellent pull-up hide with lots of color bursts and a waxy topcoat.
    Capri - top of the line. There's a blue you can fall in love with;

Tufted won't make a difference on longevity vs non-tufted.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

HEAVY USE? Duane would Equestrian work for #1371 SOMERSET TUFTED chair? When this chair is purchased it will be used by a 300 pound man every day, all day. We would request extra frame support added. Thanks again.

Yes, of the leathers that actually still feel like real leather, Equestrian would be my choice. H&M can add frame reinforcements to a piece for additional charge and that would be recommended for a 300 lb person.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

foxwoodfarm Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Blues 'cool' a room and can be more difficult to decorate with because the color pallet with them is typically gray, black, burgundy. They're not really 'out of style' but 85% of all leather sales are in a brown tone, so that obviously is why you don't see many floor models in blue. If I put a blue sofa in my store, it will sit there 3x longer than a brown one, and twice as long as a burgundy unit.

Weston is a great hide, slightly waxy, slight pull-up effect. Varies in dye lots considerably, nice hand.
    Equestrian is pebbly, and like a saddle leather a bit 'squeaky' or noisy. Tough, thicker cut than others, it can take a lot of heavy use.
    Tiburon is an excellent pull-up hide with lots of color bursts and a waxy topcoat.
    Capri - top of the line. There's a blue you can fall in love with;

Tufted won't make a difference on longevity vs non-tufted.
    Thanks Duane for your comments. I have always preferred cool colors in both clothes and in my home. My go-to neutrals are gray and black and blue. I am replacing a 22yo navy leather couch and chair/ottoman. Still like the navy. Still want another blue of some sort if I am going to spring for new H&M sofa and chair. Besides, given the countless hours I have spent studying the 25 blue leathers on the H&M site (and really only half that are realistic for a dark blue, aniline leather), I cannot imagine if I were trying to choose among the 200 or so brown leathers! I would go insane! I have owned and ridden horses my entire life and am VERY picky about my saddles, strap goods, boots, etc... That's where I get my fix for rich, warm, brown leather. (I once drooled over a two tone British made saddle, brown with a beautiful blue seat ... Didn't buy it though - would have been very hard to resell down the road!)

Not asking for a quote, but if a given frame is 1.0 dollars in Grade 3 leather, can you give me an estimate (1.x) of the upcharge to Grade 4?

My question about the tufted vs non wasn't about longevity, but about whether the tufts impact how the color and the hide "look". Guess I was thinking about the effect of the pull-up leathers vs the thicker Equestrian, etc... and how that would work with the tufts.

Thanks again for all your help and knowledge!
    Nancy