Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Antelope Leather vs Capri

foxwoodfarm Guest

Default Question on Antelope Leather vs Capri

Quoting from the H&M Leather description of Antelope:

"craftsman randomly rubbing pigments on the hide leaving variations of light and dark areas"

I know it is a protected leather. Is this leather aniline dyed before this process? Or is it considered a 100% painted hide?

I am considering a red leather (in addition to blue) and have narrowed to Capri Bordeaux and Antelope Claret. The samples I have seen are virtually identical in color. Both are Grade 4. I actually think the Antelope has more interesting color, but am leery of a "painted" leather. The Capri wins for softness. Does anybody have an opinion to help me decide?

Thanks!

Default Re: Question on Antelope Leather vs Capri

Hi foxwood,
    I have both leathers in my home and would say that I favor Capri over the Antelope without question. Both are very soft, but for me the big difference is the painted vs dyed issue.
    The painted Antelope scratches the topcoat with just routine wear and tear, leaving lighter marks, almost white appearing, in the leather. I believe it is repairable, and I have some paint from H and M, but I have been leery about trying to repair it.
    When there are rubs or abrasions on the Capri, it is not a chip in the topcoat and so it is much less noticeable. You just rub it and it just goes away. I have had the Antelope for about two years on a sofa and more recently purchased a chair in Capri. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the Capri in the sofa.
    The two pieces I have are in similar but not identical lighter browns (Harness and Butternut) and honestly they look very very close in terms of color, variations, etc, though I think there might be a little more variation in the Antelope.
    Hope this helps

foxwoodfarm Guest

Thank you zebradoc... That helps a LOT! That's exactly what I was worried about!

Antelope and Capri (as well as Quintessence) come from the same tannery in Europe. Antelope is 100 % painted, but the paint is applied very thinly and has the look and feel of an aniline leather. Capri is a near-nude, velvety sofa leather that is probably my very favorite hide overall. It's the very definition of a luxury leather.

I no longer recommend Antelope to customers. It's too expensive for what it is, and as zebradoc notes, can chip off over time. For that kind of money buy the Capri. If you have to have a painted leather, then look at the GR 2 Aspen, which will cost much less overall but approaches the feel and texture of Antelope and doesn't seem to flake off pigment bits as easily.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

foxwoodfarm Guest

Thank you Duane for your advice. You confirmed what I suspected about Antelope. Capri it is. Navy and/or Bordeaux. Which on the sofa and which on the chair/ottoman? Decisions, decisions...

Thomdm Guest

Duane, when did you stop recommending the Antelope leather? Everything I've read before this indicates that it's one of your top leather recommendations.

When I began seeing some issues with it AND it went from a GR 3 to a GR 4 price point. Not everyone has problems with it, but its susceptible to chipping and flaking on the finish from my experience. If you are going to pay a GR 4 price, then get a 'real' leather that is aniline, not something painted.
    Duane Collie

Thomdm Guest

I wish I had known about the problems you've encountered with the Antelope leather prior to my order. I can probably find 20 or more extremely positive comments you've made concerning the Antelope leather (after the grade increase) and your comment from 2 days ago is the very first one I've seen where you indicated any problem at all.

The forum is always fluid - and information changes here on a regular basis as experience and reports come back in from customers on use. You learn from my experience as I learn and when in doubt, ask questions! I check the forum most every day and am here to answer them all as best I can honestly and upfront. What you get is opinions and my opinion can - and will change - over time on many things.
    Duane Collie

Duane, is touch up paint available from H&M as indicated by Zebradoc's post above? I have some flaking on Columbia leather around the seam on a chair arm and on an ottoman.

Larry