Thread: Harden furniture

Martha Guest

Default Harden furniture

Does anyone have any advice or comments about Harden upholstery? I am under the impression that their case goods are of fairly high quality, but I am interested in some sofas that I have only seen on their web site. Anybody out there ever owned any Harden upholstery?

I had a very short experience as a Harden Dealer many years ago. I dropped the line after my initial floor stock order arrived. I found it....unimpressive for the price of the goods. Cushions too soft, spring grids poor - I just didn't like the line. Granted, that was back in the early 90's but I've not been compelled to give it another look as a dealer.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Martha Guest

Question Harden follow-up

Thanks Duane. Can you name several brands that you find acceptable that are at least the quality of Sherrill? I am looking for a matching sofa and loveseat with a certain look, and it is sometimes difficult to find the style, availability of matching pieces, AND quality level with the same manufacturer.

Sarah Guest

Hi Martha. Yes, Sherrill is good quality stuff! It is not available locally and I have never owned any so I cannot really compare it w/ the 3 brands of upholstery that I am the most familiar with.

I have had very good luck w/ Massoud. My local options for mid-upper end upholstery are limited to Thomasville, Drexel-Heritage, and Massoud (Massoud is a smaller company that may or may not be available in your area). When I was comparing those three brands, Massoud was the only one that really impressed me (DH was a close second in my opinion but I was disappointed that they outsource some of their stuff overseas). Massoud is manufactured in America (Dallas, TX) and they follow good construction techniques. Massoud's tailoring is some of the best I have ever seen. I have owned a total of 4 pieces of Massoud and they hold up extremely well! Three of my pieces are less than 3 years old so of course they are in good shape but the 15-year-old (hand-me-down) Massoud sofa that I replaced was in near-mint condition too. I only replaced that sofa because the colors in the cover material did not match the rest of my furnishings.

What brands are available locally for you?
    Last edited by Sarah; 03-01-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: clarification

Martha Guest

Sarah,
    Thanks for reminding me about Massoud. I am familiar with Massoud, but the closest dealer is several states away. FYI for anyone else out there, it is good quality. I would prefer to see and sit on at least one piece from the manufacturer that I end up ordering from, just to be able to feel the cushions and inspect the sewing and general craftsmanship. I have access to many other brands in my area, but just haven't found quite what I am looking for yet. I went to see a sofa from Flexsteel that looked like a good possibility online, but the real thing was a huge disappointment in the store. Crooked welting, no "dust cover" piece of fabric on the bottom of the sofa (ie you could see the springs), attached cushions that looked like they would tear down, etc. Just not the quality I had hoped for on that particular item number. I would prefer 8-way hand tied, detached cushions for double sided wear potential, numerous higher quality fabric choices, and lots of style choices that have matching loveseats. Am I asking too much?:

Duane, I would still love to know your suggestions for which upholstery manufacturers you would find acceptable that are at least at the quality level of Sherrill.

I'm all done as a Flexsteel dealer and have my remaining stock closed out to dealer cost. They're not a premium line by any means.

I like Sherrill. It's a nice looking line and seems to be well made and tailored. I don't have the line, but wouldn't be adverse to carrying it. Right now I can cover most all my customer upholstery needs with Hancock and Moore, Jessica Charles, and Southwood. Another line I think is worth a look is probably Taylor King.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jarrodsmorton Guest

Taylor King is a really good line. I would also look at Vanguard, Wesley Hall, and Huntington House. Sherrill is a good line. Just know that they have many different divisions so make sure you are looking at the one that has the quality you are looking for.