Thread: Hancock and Moore Recliner Mechanism

Clueless 2 Guest

Question Hancock and Moore Recliner Mechanism

I currently own a Hancock & Moore Royal High Leg Recliner that is 11.5 years old. The Legget and Platt mechanism has broken. Is it possible to replace it? If so, will Hancock & Moore allow you to buy one from them? I purchased the chair from North Carolina, and I am the original owner. Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have!

Yes, the mechanism is definitely replaceable, and you can expect to pay appx. $ 100 for one plus shipping. Sounds like you have worn out the bushings. Its bolt-in, bolt-out but does take some time to do it, if you're handy its a good afternoon project, if you're not, then a local upholsterer should be able to do if for two hours of labor or so. H&M may sell this to you direct, if they won't then I can get it for you. Call Customer Service at 828-495-8235 and ask for Debbie, who does most the parts.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Clueless 2 Guest

Thank you for the information! I will post the outcome, in hope the information may prove useful for others. I will contact you if my attempt with the company is unsuccessful. Thanks again!

Clueless 2 Guest

Received the mechanism without any problems. You were spot on regarding the price. The mechanism has been replaced, and it works great. Thanks so much for your help!

Glad I could help.
    Duane Collie

Dennis Guest

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Recliner Mechanism

I just bought 2 H&M recliner's and it seems like the mechanism is not as tight as it was when se first got them. I sit on the left side of my chair most of the time next to my lamp table so I can reach the remote and phone. It's leaning back more than the right side and much looser. Can I tighten up the back so it don't recline more than the right?

There are no tension adjustments on the majority of the recliners. A few models (very few) have two long springs on the bottom of the chair if you flip them over, with wing nuts on the end. Screwing those wing nuts down will increase the pressure tension on the back. Other than that, if they are within the warranty period you can contact your selling dealer and have it evaluated for mechanism replacement. Good luck!
    Duane Collie

My 2 year old H and M recliner with an electric battery operated Leggett and Platt mechanism makes a clunk about 20% on its way up. It did not used to do that and we have several of those recliners that don't make the clunk. Any ideas? Thanks. By the way, I posted about these chairs when I first got them. None of the foot rests closed all the way when they were new. After some negotiation between the factory and the store, the store picked the chairs up and the factory sent 2 guys to the store's warehouse and they fixed the alignment on all of them. The store then redelivered the fixed chairs so that issue was resolved. The clunk issue is new.

“Clunks” are signs of either mechanism binding or the mechanism moving relative to the frame. I would check the bolts holding the mechanism to the frame, my bet is that one of them has loosened and the noise is as that mech shifts against the frame.
    Duane Collie