Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenging Layout

Shelia Guest

Default Challenging Layout

I am wondering if anyone would be willing to give their thoughts on how to layout and furnish this room. It's a big, open area, but there is no natural focal point and I can't seem to find a good layout.

I'm looking for new furniture so there are no limitations there.
    We do have the baby grand piano that needs a spot.
    There is no TV to consider.
    The dining room table is 4 ft x 8 ft.

Thank you for any ideas!

... hmmmmm .... I tried to upload a few images to help, but they won't seem to upload. It just keeps saying upload failed. The images are jpg and under 150 KB

Default Re: Challenging Layout

My pictures were too large so I uploaded them to photobucket and then linked them in.

Shelia Guest

Thank you brsett.

Shelia Guest

Whoa! Those are big photos. Sorry.

That's pretty open-ended, you may want to hire a decorator. Before I even put the first stick of furniture in the room I'd want to look at a way to section it (visually) and then secondly you need a color palette of some kind to follow. It's very stark and lacks warmth as it is now, so before you put in furniture you have to think paint / window treatments / carpets first and then if you want use furniture to segment and make it more cozy. Its pretty much beyond the scope of asking how to fix it up in a forum like this as a lot of factors come into play (budget, your style, etc). Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Shelia Guest

Although I definitely see the need ... and the budget is big enough, unfortunately, my significant other won't agree to hiring a decorator. I'll probably need to spend quite a bit of time determining colors, window treatments, etc. But I really stumped on furniture layout.

Take some photos from all 4 angles and post them here. Need to see the other sides of the room.
    Duane Collie

Shelia Guest

from west side of room - looking left (The opening in wall will be a closet.)

from west side of room - looking right

from kitchen (east side of room) - wide angle (You can see the edge of the old sofa here. Just for clarity: it is pushed up against the front door. I was trying to get it out of the picture.)
    Last edited by Shelia; 12-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.

To begin with, I'd move the table to in front of the window rather than the door. It simply makes sense from a traffic point of view. The second thing I'd think about is rugs. You need some. Two, possibly three (if one is a runner). And the price of those may crimp your style. I can't imagine the piano sounds decent with the echo in there anyway.

Is there a piece of furniture you love? I hate sectionals. But your room is so obviously modern, I might consider it. If you move the table, that will probably necessitate putting a sofa back parallel to it to isolate the table. For modern I like the ones with the square stainless frames.
    Last edited by brsett; 12-03-2013 at 11:22 PM.

That's a very different floor plan...wow. The main door is hinged on the wrong side for egress with furniture and is that a boxed window right there at the main front door? The kitchen is boxed in, too. The reason this is such a challenging floor plan is because it looks like it was designed by someone with no architectural training.

Now, onto the layout.... What you need to do is divided the room up without building walls, so you create Zones using furniture. First off, your table is too large and going the wrong directions. I assume its staying, so turn it 90 degrees do that one end is facing the sliding glass door. Then we're going to put an area rug underneath it and consider that Zone 1. To the right of the sliding glass door and in the space on the wall you have room for a small hutch or sideboard no longer than about 48".

For Zone 2, take a large sectional and "frame' the are around the laundry room with it. The Sectional will be floating in the room and it should be fairly massive and stout to break the floor plan up. TV goes in the corner by the laundry room door Or to the right the Laundry room door on the wall. A second area rug goes down in front of the sectional.

Zone 3 is where the Piano lives. On the opposite side of the sectional and to the right of the double windows, in that area between the windows and the door. Another area rug in Zone 3 and some small occasional chairs directing to the piano as the latter is the focal point in Zone 3.

That's it for starters! hope it helps...
    Duane Collie