Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motion Furniture Questions

Jaywalker Guest

Default Motion Furniture Questions

Duane,

I'm in the market for a good leather motion sofa, though I don't think it will be a H&M.

First, a basic question about motion support. I understand motion and 8-way hand-tied springs are incompatible; what support do they use? I ask because you have mentioned some long-lived recliners, so I'm curious how they can be as long-lived as the 8-way springs.

Second, in researching B-Y on this site, back in 2010 it appeared they were sourcing some of their Legget & Pratt mechanisms from China. Has this program expanded? Are you aware that warranty claims have increased?

Third, and a more subjective question regarding the difference in feel between the B-Y 912-90 and the H&M Austin (probably 8134, though I would have sworn it was labeled "8132"): for shorter legs, which has the better ability to sit flat-footed with back against the cushions, i.e., shorter, lower seat? (It's a tough call, but I don't want to sit in one locally, thereby preserving my ability to buy it over the internet.)

Thanks.

Default Re: Motion Furniture Questions

Recliners are going to use simple no-sag springs placed above the mechanism, and they almost never fail in that aspect. What DOES fail (or can fail) is the mechanism itself. There are rivets in even the best mechanisms that can get stressed over time and pop. Here's a cut-away of one of the better mechanisms on the market today:

http://www.leggettmotion-intl.com/fi...ies_6_2013.pdf

However, if the mechanism has failed, you can buy a replacement and install it. Currently a new mechanism is about $ 150, and an upholstery company will change you about 90 minutes labor to put in. H&M uses Leggett and Platt, B-Y uses (mostly) Universal mech. None ever fail in the warranty period (three years), the fail at the 12 to 15 year mark (or never fail at all). What kills mechanisms is abuse, a recliner is in a bit of a fragile state when open, and if kids are jumping around on it or someone jumps in with the person using the recliner (even a child climbing onto a parent) that puts a lot of stress on the mechanism. Use it gently when its open. I have (5) recliners in my house, (2) H&M and (3) B-Y with the oldest dating to 1987 and never had a failure on any of them.

I can't answer the last part of your question because everyone has different leg lengths and sits in them differently. My opinion is that the B-Y 912-90 is a much better value than the H&M Austin with the recliners and pretty close to equal on sit. If I were buying that product, I'd go B-Y, myself.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jaywalker Guest

Thanks, Duane - two PMs.

Duane,

The referenced mechanism looks great, especially for us big guys. How can I determine if this is used in a particular BY or H&M recliner, or can it be specified when ordering?

Jaywalker Guest

Thanks, Duane.

With regard to the Braddington-Young 912-90, I'm interested in learning about their semi-aniline covers. I understand they're dyed and then protected slightly. I don't recall, however, reading whether they are sanded then embossed with grain replacement first.

I've spent most of my time on this site learning about H&M leather rather than B-Y's. Have you posted a comparison of their grades/price points ratings?

Take a look under the LEATHER forum and read "A primer in Leather", that will apply to anyone's hides. None of these companies make their own leathers, they all buy them from suppliers/vendors (The big leather trade show is in High Point NC in June) and I see a few hides in both H&M and B-Y that come from the same supplier.

I have not rated them out, nor is the one on H&M current. No time, I'm afraid..
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by cuse69 View Post
    Duane,

The referenced mechanism looks great, especially for us big guys. How can I determine if this is used in a particular BY or H&M recliner, or can it be specified when ordering?
    There are so many models of mechanisms from a given company they are dizzying. I don't know the specific series model in any given recliner, but H&M tells me they used the top model in their series in every recliner.
    Duane Collie

goldem Guest

Adding on to this question, how do the motion seating sofas such as the BY 912-90 work for laying on the length of instead of reclining (napping)? The reclining sofas I've been on seem to have a "bar effect" similar to sleeper mattresses on the spacing between each of the sections. I'd like to think the better sofas such as these avoid that, but maybe I could see it being a structural problem.

You won't feel anything like a metal 'bar' in any premium recliner sofa, but they're not the best at laying down on because they are designed to be recliners - so typically they have bustle backs and a lumbar pillow - together with shallow depths and that means you will be more comfy in full recliner mode than stretched out lengthwise on them...but you can do it.
    Duane Collie

Jaywalker Guest

At my request, my son visited The Keeping Room today (since I'm now 1500 miles away) and verified that lying down felt fine. I like a good couch nap, lengthwise.