Thread: A & o delivery 15 december 2013

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Default A & o delivery 15 december 2013

There had been delays because the truck broke down. There had been delays because they said they had wrong phone number and could not reach me. All reasons I understood. Truck arrived four hours after I was scheduled. Also I understand, snow and ice on all the roads. But the condition of the crate my sofa was in was broken, blanket that was used for a wrap, torn and nasty looking. cardboard box that had been around the wood crate was falling off... my sofa was stood up on one end and walked on the arm and then one leg to get it twisted loose of cardboard, wood pallet, tape and blanket. Sofa was dropped on one end on sidewalk when one of the delivery men cut his hand on a staple. Neither man from A & O seemed to have much experience on lifting or moving. I have to compare this delivery to the delivery by SUN, which was a total pleasure
    I still need to replace a broken down sectional from Haverty's. I am hoping Duane gives me an option for the WHITE GLOVE DELIVERY.

Default Re: A & o delivery 15 december 2013

I've been getting generally good reports on A&O but I have noticed they use older trucks and have friendly employees but not what you would call seasoned professionals. Such is the Blanket Wrap Delivery Business. No one grows up saying "I want to be a long distance truck driver hauling heavy furniture into people's homes for a life long career" so my experience is that they are all marginal at best. The goal at the end of the day is not time accuracy or punctuality, or presentation, but to get the furniture in your home un-damaged at a fairly reasonable service price. When talking to these shippers, I try to get a balance of professionalism / damage ratio / price. Its not easy to do. For one thing, these companies barely make a profit - and when the owners don't make money its hard to get them to have highly trained crews and state-of-the-art logistics and new trucks. I'm always open to suggestions, but I've tried every single firm out there - there are not that many.

Sun Delivery even went so far as to ask me to no longer use them as a carrier, because they are not confident they can carry pieces like Hancock & Moore without damaging the items, and quite frankly they were also tired of me complaining when damage did occur. 90% of what these blanket wrap service companies haul is inexpensive Chinese made furniture as well, so they are not prepared for the additional handling requirements of high-quality goods (which weigh considerably more) and the cost to fix them if they damage them.

For those that truly want the best service, i think Plycon Van Lines offers it - or if you like you can do your homework and tell me which shipper you want to use. You don't ever have to use my default service - just tell me who you want at time of order. The problem with Plycon (and I have used them for my high-end wood pieces for over 15 years) is they are twice the price of the North Carolina Blanket Wrap operatios. If you don't mind paying $ 600 to have your sofa delivered vs $ 300, just ask me to use them and I will specify them. There are also a number of high end delivery services that handle expensive antiques and deliver in climate controlled trucks, but now your sofa delivery is $ 1,200. Finally, if you want my guys and my truck to deliver your furniture - and we never damage anything and arrive within 30 minutes of our time window- its $ 110 per hour outbound from my store based on truck times. Four hours 1-way would be $ 440, for example.

There are options, its just how much you want to pay for the service.
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-15-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Duane I know you are are striving to see every product you sale is delivered to your customers in good shape and in good time at the best price. I appreciate it all. I do appreciate every consideration you made to me personally with this sale. I know from dealing with house painters, roofers, window installers this level of employment has a turnover that can never be a "profession" The CHANCELLOR sofa in Weston Mocha is an elegant, beautiful piece. I recommend both the style and the leather. Thank you! Mrssqrdaway

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

A & O DELIVERY .... REPEAT
    I ordered bedside tables and chest for a "sick room". Delivery was scheduled for 6 January. Delivery took place 11 PM 11 January. Once again the truck broke down in Michigan. Delivery guys were polite, mindful of the carpet and walls as the items were placed in a bedroom on second floor. One of the delivery men wanted to show the other the Hancock & Moore sofa he delivered a few weeks ago. He was proud of his work. I was their last stop on their way back to North Carolina. GOOD JOB A&O !