Thread: H&M City v/s Member: Size questions

tdb4rdd Guest

Default H&M City v/s Member: Size questions

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and learning a lot about H&M in last 1 day. I got to visit local retailer to try City today and found it to be an excellent. I also briefly spoke to Duane today and he recommended me to check out City or Member due to my door clearance of approx 33 inch.

I liked City a lot but member would be better due to 22inch of inner depth v/s 20.5 inner depth in City.

Can some please advise me if member would be a problem to get into the house due to door clearance of apprxo 33 inch?

Thanks in advance.

tdb4rdd Guest

Default Re: H&M City v/s Member: Size questions

Adding some clarity in my question - My door is of standard 36'' size and has available clearance of approx 33''.

It will be great if you can share your experience with particular sofa model that you purchased with specific door size. It will help me either to stay with City or move up to Member, Reserve, Journey or Kodiak series.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

To increase the door opening, it is a simple task to remove screw from the side of the hinges that connect door to the frame. An additional way to open even wider is to take a very thin pry bar and remove the door stops. Better to do a little extra fix up after you receive your furniture than have it returned or damaged to squeeze thru a too small doorway. Remember to also check to see if the furniture legs can be removed.

I spoke with you at length about this on the phone, hence my lack of addressing this on the forum.

One more thing to remember on deliveries is that we try to err on the side of caution as all delivery teams are not alike. You might get two guys that have worked as a team for several years and know all the delivery tricks of the trade - OR you might get two guys on a truck that have been doing it for 60 days and don't know how to angle a sofa. There is no way of knowing whom is going to show up and like most things in the service industry the delivery is as good as the guys on the truck. Because we don't know if you'll get the noobs or the pros, then we try to estimate sofa clearances with some margin of error.

My two men that do our local deliveries, Tom and Jim, are best in the business. They can angle things in and work a corner like you've never seen before. We pad up the door jambs and push the physics of the delivery to the last 1/16". However delivery companies are not all like that, and may produce a waiver for you to sign that they feel the clearances are too tight and won't be responsible for any damages to either the walls or the furniture.

Most everything made today fits in a 36" doorway. As you drop down in clearance, so do the pieces that will clear fit the egress. At 33" I would estimated it's about 35% of the H&M sofas offered.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.