Thread: Looking for good quality reclining sectional

anitacorcoran1767 Guest

Default Looking for good quality reclining sectional

We are in search of a reclining sectional to replace an older reclining sofa. Our old set is 12 years old and held up very well but doesn't fit into our new space. I did not understand, until I started this search, than many old name brands have moved their manufacturing to China since we last purchased reclining furniture.

My sister recently had a horrible experience purchasing kitchen cabinets that were billed as 'made in the usa' but were, in fact, flat pack china cabinets that were assembled in the USA. More than half of the doors had to be replaced due to quality control issues. The retailer didn't even ask for the old doors back - just told them to throw them out. Shows what they think of their own product. This leaves me very leery of any furniture coming out of China.

I understand that reclining furniture is manufactured differently than stationary upholstered pieces and the reclining mechanism precludes the use of the normal quality construction methods (8 way tied springs for instance). I think this makes it all the more important to find furniture with the best quality fabric and foam so the sofa cushions maintain their shape. I am having difficulty sourcing USA made reclining furniture with a local retail outlet. I like the look of Carolina Chair recliners but they have no stores. My husband is understandably nervous about ordering furniture that he can't sit on and try out.

Does anyone have any recent experience ordering motion sofa's or motion sectionals? Is their a chart I can access that shows true 'made in the usa' motion furniture manufacturers? Thanks in advance for any help offered!

If possible, I'd like to keep the price in the $3000 region.

Default Re: Looking for good quality reclining sectional

They are out there, but $ 3K for a motion sectional is an unrealistic number, sorry. A sectional is typically the price of (2) sofas, so a decent motion sofa can be had for $ 3K, USA-made, but the sectional will be double that. Because of friction wear and use, i firmly believe all motion pieces should be in leather as it outlasts fabric 4 to 1. Best bang for the buck in high quality right now is the Bradington Young 912 series in both sofa and sectional of the brands I am familiar with. All USA made.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

anitacorcoran1767 Guest

Thanks for the prompt response! We really don't like leather and the Bradington Young only seems to come in leather...I'll have to keep searching I guess

You can buy any Bradington Young piece in a fabric, though be prepared for faster wear-through times on the cover for almost any motion piece.
    Duane Collie

anitacorcoran1767 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You can buy any Bradington Young piece in a fabric, though be prepared for faster wear-through times on the cover for almost any motion piece.
    Thanks for the correction. I couldn't tell that from their website. Good to know

Yes, they don't put much emphasis on their fabrics though but they do have some to select from and the pieces they make are sturdy and reliable.
    Duane Collie

alovett Guest

Does Bradington Young make a smaller line? The ones I looked at were lovely but too big for my space. Max length on the left side is 115 inches, but the right side can go up to 134 inches. I'd like one that has at least one recliner.

Sure, you can do the 912 series in a Loveseat segment on one side (the 115" run) and either another loveseat OR a sofa segment on the 134" side. The 912 in the Loveseat size only needs 102" of wall run space. See the photos here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...n-GR-5-leather

But to answer your question, no - they don't make a smaller size.
    Duane Collie

alovett Guest

I'm confused. What is the wall run space? For our space, if the end goes past 115", we can't walk around it. (The left side's not against a wall, but it's perpendicular to the wall that the longer (right) side would run along.) So would the 912 series be 102" on the left side, or 124" (which is what the dimensions for the love seat and wedge are adding up to on the BY website)? Or are you talking about not using the wedge?

Quote Originally Posted by alovett View Post
    I'm confused. What is the wall run space? For our space, if the end goes past 115", we can't walk around it. (The left side's not against a wall, but it's perpendicular to the wall that the longer (right) side would run along.) So would the 912 series be 102" on the left side, or 124" (which is what the dimensions for the love seat and wedge are adding up to on the BY website)? Or are you talking about not using the wedge?
    Take a look at this scroll down to the third page (I don't have a .pdf editor on my home computer so I can't break this document out). When we talk about the 'wall run' its the total distance the piece occupies from the corner out. See the LS/Corner/LS sectional on the third page as an example. This is a sample for the 220 series, not the 912....but it will show what I'm referring to.

sectional-seating-by-design-dimensions-june-10-2013.pdf
    Duane Collie